madbombX

New Support Skydivers Website

I, along with a few other skydivers, have put together a website called http://www.supportskydivers.org/.

The idea behind this website is that when possible, support your local skydivers. If you have the option of going to any restaurant, would it not be better to go visit a fellow skydiver at their place? If you need work done on your house, maybe it would be best to use someone from the dropzone? If your company is hiring, ask around at the dropzone to see if there is someone in need of work. If you are travelling, find places that are owned by skydivers local to where you are (or where you are going to be).

Please take some time to look around the site, register, add your business, post open jobs, and generally get a feel for the site. Let me know what you think as comments and criticisms are always welcome (and encouraged since this is for the community). You can find me on Twitter @skydiversupport , email me at [email protected], or even respond to this thread.

Please also pass this around at your local dropzone. The only way for this site to be useful is for the community to grow it and support it.

Note that we are not looking to replace/compete with anything already out there (like Dropzone.com for instance), we just want the community be able to help out its own.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Eric Lubow

Great idea! Hope it takes off.

Might be helpful to include a section for job seekers to post resumes as well.

Thanks. The only way for this to take off is for the skydiving community to get involved. The goals of those of us involved in to get everyone from every dropzone using this tool. Business owners, sales people, even jumpers who do side work.

Keeping resumes around are an interesting idea as well. We are interested to see how the site gets used before adding a lot of new features. If we get a few requests for a particular feature, then we will add it.

Hope you enjoy the site and it works well for you. Keep passing the word along. Thanks.

Eric

Good idea.

Constructive criticism:

1) See attachment #1, the search "around me" screen:

- Where does the "Richardson, TX" come from? Why is that location primed in the screen? I didn't put it there.

- What is the "Search for" parameter input supposed to be? City and state? Zip code? Type of business?

- If you click "search elsewhere", the zip code field appears twice. Huh?

2) See attachment #2.

- I typed "Los Angeles, CA" in the search field, but it tells me zero hits in Richardson, TX. Huh?

You need to clean up the functionality, and make it more explanatory how it is to be used.

Thats a great idea. I would help out a fellow skydiver whose services I was in need of anyday!:)
When I did the job posting however, I received a javascript error from the calendar popup function from the job start and end date, seems the error was received onLoad. I am using Google Chrome btw.

Great site idea, I'll spread the word to my fellow skydiver friends that own business's I hope it takes off!! Best of luck!

www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

@JohnRich The first thing that happens is that the site tries to guess your location based on your IP Address. Sometimes it will guess wrong if your IP is listed wrong. That's why you can click on the other button and input your actual location. We are going to be continually improving the site and will take your feedback and add notes around the site to help everyone out. We will also attempt to make the site a little more user friendly.

@apt3studiodiver I downloaded Chrome and got that same error. It seems to be Chrome and Prototype specific. So I changed it over the jQuery datepicker library and have now included some Chrome testing. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Thanks to everyone else who has even replied off this thread as well. Keep the feedback coming and we'll keep the improvements coming.