Sangi

The future of skydiving?

Have you ever wondered what the future of skydiving is going to be in like 50-100 years?

Do you think that people will develop the technology to fly without the constraints of metal birds? Like really fly, not fall or glide.. Do you think that when this day comes people will finally get bored of skydiving/BASE because humanity will have finally achieved the dream of true flight and these sports will plunge to history..?

Share your thoughts..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

"Today, each jumper has a personal GPS. It has an automatic homing and course correction mechanism that steers the parachute to the landing area in a safe way. The anti-collision controls are directed by a master computer that tracks each jumper's position in the pattern. Every jumper wears a personal transponder with a unique code. The ground proximity device automatically corrects the canopy orientation to an injury free landing. These devices are not mandated. Jumpers want them. Some jumpers will not do a jump without them."***

Hope you don't mind that I copied this part, but it seems highly plausible to me. I also expect that at some point "failure to use a gps controlled canopy" will be listed as a reason for a canopy collision. Oh, and I'd bet that some DZO's will mandate their use.