tumbleroll

My crazy skydiving instructor...

" ...

Tell him if the canopy wasn't safe to land AND you don't have enough altitude to cut away, you would perform a canopy transfer. See what he thinks of that.;)

"

I sure hope you were joking ... because I thought canopy transfers fell out of fashion at the same time that round reserves fell out of fashion.

I just did a search on canopy transfer.... How probable would it be for a mess up on a sabre 190? I dont plan on trying this, but it may be helpful if im in a bad situation. [:/]

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I frequently ask similar questions during SOLO Certificate oral exams, "A" Certificate Emergency Procedures Reviews, "B" EPR, "C" EPR, etc. because CSPA requires it AND I believe everyone should review emergency procedures at least once a year.

Far too many skydivers have died because they could not immediately recall EPs learned five or ten years ago.
Heck!
Before Cypri became fashionable, USPA Annual Fatality Summaries routinely included 30% of fatalities as "main malfunction not responded to correctly or not at all."
This overlapped the 30% who died because of "no-pull/low-pull."

The bottom line is: if you are too cool to review emergency procedures on a regular basis, you will respond slowly in the event of a malfunction.

The only thing I do differently (than the OP's instructor) is to pose a question, listen to the junior jumper's response, then say:"Good answer. Now please explain the logic behind your decision."

He never gives me a straight answer to anything.

Last week he posed a scenario - "your main canopy looks like its opened OK, he says, "but begins to stall at the smallest toggle movement - how would you react? what would you do?"

So naturally I say: "If I have altitude I would cut-away!!:D If not, I would use front and rear risers to steer and land the canopy, preparing for a parachute landing role:S!"

Well, he didn't seem to think much of that answer. He told me to spend some time thinking about my answer, which I did, and I still can't see why that was wrong! >:(

Tell him if the canopy wasn't safe to land AND you don't have enough altitude to cut away, you would perfrom a canopy transfer. See what he thinks of that.;)

He'd say "what internet smartarse have you been talking to?" :D;)

" ...

Tell him if the canopy wasn't safe to land AND you don't have enough altitude to cut away, you would perform a canopy transfer. See what he thinks of that.;)

"

I sure hope you were joking ... because I thought canopy transfers fell out of fashion at the same time that round reserves fell out of fashion.

I don't take staying alive as being fashionable or not. Please note that I said "if your main wasn't safe to land" AND "you don't have enough altitude to cut away.

If what you have over your head is going to kill you and you are sure you are too low to cut away, throwing a reserve into the mix is certainly better than doing nothing and burning in because of it. Assuming the reserve clears the main, the "transfer' part of that process - cutting away the main - would of course be a different decision based solely on the situation as it unfolds - excuse the pun.

A friend of mine is alive today becasue he chunked his reserve into a malfunctioning intenional-cutaway canopy that wouldn't release on one side.

Broke everything, but lived.

Dumping a reserve into a malfunctioning main is about the worst possible move - right up until it's the only one you've got.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

He never gives me a straight answer to anything.

Last week he posed a scenario - "your main canopy looks like its opened OK, he says, "but begins to stall at the smallest toggle movement - how would you react? what would you do?"

So naturally I say: "If I have altitude I would cut-away!!:D If not, I would use front and rear risers to steer and land the canopy, preparing for a parachute landing role:S!"

Well, he didn't seem to think much of that answer. He told me to spend some time thinking about my answer, which I did, and I still can't see why that was wrong! >:(

Tell him if the canopy wasn't safe to land AND you don't have enough altitude to cut away, you would perfrom a canopy transfer. See what he thinks of that.;)

He'd say "what internet smartarse have you been talking to?" :D;)

Yeah, I probably would too.:o:ph34r:
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

if its a line over and i was flying strait i would cut the brake line and land on rears, but thats just me trying to prevent myself from cutting away for as long as possible :)

? I hope that was a joke.[:/]

Why would that be an issue?? You should be able to land on rears anyways. . .
If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!!
Cuz stupid hurts

A-54266 - BASE#1374

if its a line over and i was flying strait i would cut the brake line and land on rears, but thats just me trying to prevent myself from cutting away for as long as possible :)

? I hope that was a joke.[:/]

Why would that be an issue?? You should be able to land on rears anyways. . .

I think the concern is more with the comment in bold.

Not really what one should be thinking at all...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~