speedy

Exit order/separation

Can someone tell where Atmonauti flyers should be getting out? I have heard that they tend to exit first. What sort of distance do they cover?

We are starting to get "Atmonauts" at our DZ and I have no real idea where to put them on the jump run.[:/]
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

IMO, the easiest way would be to treat them as tracking dives- a good atmonauti flock can easily cover the same distance as a group of trackers with the average fallrate being, at least in my experience, around 170-180km/h.
In addition to exit order, it's important for the 'navigator' leading the dive to know the jump run direction and wind conditions and adjust the flight accordingly. Most of the time, that means either flying 45° to the jump run or straight up the line of flight for a group that exits last on an upwind jump run.

So basically, these are jumps that can have considerable horizontal movement and require some flight planning as well as proper exit order. Make sure the people doing it at your dz understand that.
Hope this helps.

Atmonauti and tracking groups go out last, before any birdman though. Make sure that if you have more then one birdman/atmonauti/tracking group in one jumprun that they figure out their flightplans with each other as well.

Personally I think that if you did a birdman course you already learned the stuff about flightplans, and the atmonauti I've seen so far are pretty heads up too, but I've had members from tracking jumps freefall past my opening canopy pretty close [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have my resignations about an atmo group and birdmen going out one behind the other, the two flight plans don't jive. I know that at SD Arizona when Jeffro and Co. are running atmo groups and I am running flocks, the atmo groups leave the aircraft first and Birdman last as usual.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have my resignations about an atmo group and birdmen going out one behind the other, the two flight plans don't jive. I know that at SD Arizona when Jeffro and Co. are running atmo groups and I am running flocks, the atmo groups leave the aircraft first and Birdman last as usual.

If you put atmo out first in an upwind jumprun what would their flightplan be? If they go 45o or less upwind they may run into a FS member, if they go 90o or more they may not make it back.

We run multiple groups (of whatever moving kind) like this: one goes left, one goes right, one goes left, etc. This works, as long as no-one crosses jumprun on the way back. This also works with the occasional high puller that wants to pull at 7 or so, stay on your side of jumprun.

I still prefer just one moving group; I find it easier to keep an eye out for more stationary groups or solos, but with all the birdman and atmonauti hype you can't expect that all the time...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

If memory serves me, they take their atmo groups out 90o and have no problem making it back. We also didn't have any crowding issues between groups for the whole time they had the atmo camp if thats any indicator for how well it worked for us. Weather going left,right, left or 45/90o off, if the atmo/tracking rabbit is directionaly challenged on exit, the possiblity of someone crossing jump run goes up exponentially. I have witnessed this happen more than once since atmo dives started gaining popularity.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I know that at SD Arizona when Jeffro and Co. are running atmo groups and I am running flocks, the atmo groups leave the aircraft first and Birdman last as usual.

are the atmo groups exiting early or do they get out where a normal FS group get out. What flight plan are they adopting?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

are the atmo groups exiting early or do they get out where a normal FS group get out

The atmo group gets out first and flys a 90o followed by FS/regular skydivers. I am not sure if the pilot gave them a green light early or if he adjusted jump run. Remember this is out of an Otter and the atmo groups ranged in size from 6-14, regular skydivers and then how ever many I had in my flock at that time. There was 1 lift where it was basicaly 2 groups, atmos, and birdmen so we waited until the end of the jump run before we exited as usual.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I hate to be the newbie asking questions- but it's the only way to learn? Atmonauti flyers? Exactly what is that? Thanks for the info.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

OK. I went to the website and I still can't say for certain that I know what this type of skydive is. I had never heard of atmonauti until this thread, but then again I do live in the northeast. Near as I can tell it looks like what would happen if someone was trying to go head down and screwed up. Can someone explain this in plain English. The website referenced tracking as horizontal and this type of dive 10-45 degrees off from that but not as flat as birdmen. I do know what birdmen are so I guess I haven't missed out on everything in the past few years, but I still don't have a clue what this is all about.

It basically a tracking jump but the fliers are not flying horizontal (parralel to the ground), their bodies are bent at the hips and they fly on more of a 45 degree angle. In this position they can take docks and stack the formation pretty tightly.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

This is really nothing new as this has been a compulsorary move in Free style competition for some time. Although what free flyers are currently doing is not technically the same as the requirements for Free style atmo are more demanding.

Here is a picture of how Atmo jumpers can be put out first with multiple aircraft( approx 2 mins behind droping a/c) on one jump run and still make it back to the DZ and not have to worry about running into canopy or other skydiver traffic.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks Lou, nice pic and I'll will save it for future reference.
In the pic we have the trackers/atmo's exiting 1st after the DZ, however, sometimes we have to put people out more than 1/2 a mile before the DZ. I guess then you just have to mirror image your diagram.
The trackers/atmo's need to know if they are leaving before or after the DZ? Somehow I feel that this is wrong.

What if they track with at least a 45° angle in the direction of the droprun? Assuming the droprun is into the wind.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl