ChrisL

Flat turns

>Have I missed something? I can`t see the connection.

Violent deceleration can often lead to a torn aorta. Car accident victims often die from this, since even when they don't go flying they see massive deceleration. Hitting water at high speeds causes the same sorts of deceleration.

Side note - you can tear through several layers of your aorta and still maintain hydrodynamic integrity (i.e. not bleed into your chest) but the remaining layer could go at any time. So if you do see someone really pound in, and they feel some pain, or are woozy - it's a good idea to get them to the hospital anyway.

>Have I missed something? I can`t see the connection.

Violent deceleration can often lead to a torn aorta. Car accident victims often die from this, since even when they don't go flying they see massive deceleration. Hitting water at high speeds causes the same sorts of deceleration.

But hitting the hard ground would have worked out better for the heart and body? I'd be more worried about drowning in that sort of landing scenario.

In the one we have been talking about, the choice appeared to be between landing in the middle of a pond or doing a 90 and some dodging of hard objects, on a canopy loaded around 1.2. If I got myself into that situation, paying for the new cypress filter and any cleaning expenses might work out better for me.

No, I'm saying you used a more dangerous option over a safer one available to you.

Not saying you did something wrong, more I'm trying to point out to others who may find themselves in a similar situation than it could have been done safer via toggles.

No offense intended.

Blues,
Ian

well i should have made it more clear the reason i chose riser is because my canopy seems to slow down really fast with toggles and as i said i still needed to go a little ways just to avoid the camper landing....

thanks for the advise.... hopefully i will never put mysefl in that situation again...
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

>But hitting the hard ground would have worked out better for the
>heart and body?

Depends on the situation. I've been saved (and have seen a lot of people saved) by landing hard on soft ground. If there's a choice between turning and hitting the lake or not turning and hitting a tree, the tree is probably a better option. They're pretty soft. Water is _not_ always a better option (although it's probably better than asphalt.)

Yes, Bill, exactly why I brought it up. You can perform a proper PLF on hard ground. . .there is absolutely no way to properly PLF in a pond. . .once the water catches you you are going to hit. . .

Also, I was really only saying it is better to not be in the situation to have to choose in the first place and pointing out that choosing to land in a pond may or may not save you.
FGF #6
Darcy

Also, I was really only saying it is better to not be in the situation to have to choose in the first place and pointing out that choosing to land in a pond may or may not save you.

It depends: landing and crashing in is a bit different. If I have to land on a pond I`d do as it would be solid ground , so canopy over my head.