swoopfly

wing loadings ??

hey

maybe a funny question regarding wing loadings...We all know when you figure the math of your wing loading you add the weight of your gear into the equation. But for a true wing loading..Do you account the weight of your main canopy into the equation? or is it just your harness and reserves weight that should be added to make the true wing loading? Does an open canopy's weight add to the wingloading or is it just the weight thats hanging under that canopy that is the true wing loading? (of the gear)

it is total weight of the wing and you, its apart of your gear....when you hop on the scale with all your gear, your rig should be packed with both main and reserve as well...

Yes i am aware that this is the equation to a wing loading. I was just curious if when your canopy is open, does the weight of it go into its own loading.....as it is now causing resistance against air.

>I was just curious if when your canopy is open, does the weight of it go
>into its own loading . . .

Yes. It must support its own weight, just as an aircraft's wings must support their own weight (i.e. the weight of the wing, including the fuel inside it, does not go away just because the wing is creating lift.)