JMS8800

Moving off student gear this weekend!

So this weekend I have the ok to finally use the rig I got. I'm so stoked I can't wait to see the difference! The difference when they moved me from the student 290 to the student 230 was a huge awesome difference in reaction and just overall feel of it. My 190 heatwave should be simply amazing! Sorry if I'm boring anyone I'm just overly excited!
Joe

I weigh 135 and I know it's a big change. I got it way cheap. 700 for it and a cypress II. The owner and all the staff said they feel comfortable with my progress and said they feel confident. They said well be very careful and put a radio back on me for the first few just in case it's needed. Anything you guys recommend for this jump?

I got it way cheap

That's the worst metric for canopy selection there is. There isn't a canopy manufacturer out there that recommends an elliptical canopy for student / novice use. Please reconsider your choice and the advise you've been given.

They said well be very careful and put a radio back on me for the first few just in case it's needed.

1. If you need radio assistance to downsize you aren't ready to downsize. 2. A radio won't help you in the types of situations that a canopy like this is most dangerous in, ie low avoidance / panic turns and landing out. I'm sure others will weigh in here but my feeling is that you are being given really inappropriate supervision and advise.

Anything you guys recommend for this jump?

A less responsive canopy and possible a new DZ and instructors (if it is your instructors that approved this canopy).
Owned by Remi #?

I got it way cheap. 700 for it and a cypress II

Yeah, but femurs and vertebrae are way, way expensive. :|

Please, please be "way" careful and conservative. I really don't feel like reading any more incident reports.

I know 'fast is fun', and all that shit.... but ANY canopy can, and will, hurt you. Fear the bone jarring, laying on the ground unable to do anything but groan in excruciating pain, THUMP that results from your body coming into contact with the earth and you running out of stuff in your luck bucket... I'm sure other can, and will, advise per the typical safety nazi kind o crap so I'll defer to them. Otherwise, have fun dude. :P
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Um, over here a heatwave requires 400 (!) jumps to jump, hint hint. "You got it cheap' is a stupid reason to buy a canopy that's way over your head. There's plenty of cheap-to-very-cheap 190's out there that are safer, like triathlon, sabre. Know what a hospital stay could cost 'ya? Also a heatwave besides being elliptical so totally unsuitable for a novice in any way it is also flat out dangerous on front risers so don't even go there with that canopy (the noise folds under fairly easily, not a pretty sight, hmmm any guesses why it was so cheap?). Openings will also require you to be very flat and stable and on-heading, otherwise you're gonna use your reserve a lot.

Sell it, don't even jump it once, get another canopy, just about every other cheap 190 out there is a much safer choice than this one :S Also a canopy like that can easily ruin your fun in jumping: getting afraid of the openings because it spins up so easily? Afraid to turn even 5o on final because it dives so much? Better hope you don't have to turn low to avoid someone or something :S Oh yeah, skydiving was supposed to be fun, right..?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks glitch. I know you all hear this often but I have a track record for moving forward too fast in everything I do, but I have been blessed with the ability to know very well what I and my body is capable of in these situations. Everyone I spoke to told me I'd be dead in a week after I bought a Suzuki hayabusa when I was 18. No license, never rode a motorcycle. I took the weekend safety course and began riding. No tickets and no wrecks. I wouldn't let myself do anything more radical then what I absolutly knew I can handle. I know this is apples and oranges but the self control and cool under pressure way I am is still a big part of how this weekend will go.
Thanks again

...but I have a track record for moving forward too fast in everything I do, but I have been blessed with the ability to know very well what I and my body is capable of in these situations.

Firstly, while confidence in your abilities is a great attribute to have and all that shit, in skydiving it don't quite work out that well. You don't know what you don't know. The incident reports are littered with folks spouting that very line of crap. No offense, but we've heard/read this shit before. [:/] Nothing you've done outside of skydiving equates to experience in skydiving. From my perspective, you have a choice to make. I hope you make the right one.

Secondly, the 'fast' I was referring to you will experience on your first few jumps. You will be hauling ass at the ground! Faster than you can imagine... and at that groundspeed if you fuck up your flare it hurts. If you don't flare it hurts. If you flare too high it hurts. Good luck with that.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I may of heard of it before someplace.... care to edumacate me? :P

You may be thinking of the breaked approach: an approach to landing which results in the breaking of bones and/or the body.B|
We may be getting an example of that one soon but the braked approach is a whole different story. ;)

...I have a track record for moving forward too fast in everything I do, but I have been blessed with the ability to know very well what I and my body is capable of in these situations.
+
...I wouldn't let myself do anything more radical then what I absolutly knew I can handle.
+
...self control and cool under pressure

= MAD SKILZZZZZ

Tell Ted we all said Hello.