JENNR8R

Traveling With A Rig

Well, I just got back from my trip. I decided to carry my rig on the airplane with the cheststrap tied around the reserve handle. I had the Vigil card and the TSA regulations with me, just in case...

On the way out of IAD, it took four TSA personnel to look at the x-ray. None of them said anything to me, and it went through. On the way back through ATL, there wasn't even a hesitation in getting through security.

No one mentioned the fact that I was wearing a parachute. I suppose most people thought it was a backpack.

I didn't have any problems at all. And piisfishy... I didn't need to light any matches. :P

Thanks everyone for the help! :)
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but how would you protect your reserve handle with your chest strap ?

route your chest strap through the D-ring a couple of times. Now the effect of an accidental pull on the handle is minimised.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Ah - I think I get it... Chest strap through the regular strap section, and then around the d-ring a few times, right?

By the way piifish, are you going to be at Empuriabrava this weekend? I only ask because you've replied to a lot of my posts about going out there, so I figure I owe you a beer :)

...route your chest strap through the D-ring a couple of times. Now the effect of an accidental pull on the handle is minimised...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I've been doing this for years. I don't travel (unless by car) but it occurred to me years ago that the best way to avoid an accidental reserve pull was to wrap the chest strap around the lift web inside the handle and fasten the strap normally. It can't be pulled. You should have seen my rigger's surprised look when I forgot to tell him what I had done.:o

Cheers,
Jon S.