j_gouge

Wind Tunnel Testimonial for Students w/ Spin Problems

This is a must read for students with spin problems. So here's my story:

I did 5 hop n' pops at the Air Force Academy (AM490 program through AFROTC) Summer of 2008 and was hooked. It took me a whole year and a half to finally have the money to start AFF and began January 1 this year. All my jumps went great and I was feeling confident as ever until the jump when my AFFI released grips, and that's when my troubles began.

I injured my back (herniated L5S1 disk) a year or so ago lifting weights. What that translated into a year later was a small, but relatively significant inconsistency in my hips/legs whilst in the neutral arc position. My left side just had a tendency to sag lower than my right and, as I progressed through my AFF, I was continually fighting a spin. Needless to say, this became increasingly distracting and discouraging, especially when I had to repeat Category D several times.

After talking with my instructor and reading several posts on this site, I determined that I was in desperate need of a wind tunnel. But, living in Texas, that would be an incredibly difficult/expensive endeavor. My salvation came mid-February when I had a chance to visit the Air Force Academy again for a symposium. After the conference, I paid a cadet to drive me 45 minutes to Skyventure Colorado for10 minutes of tunnel time to work out my spin problem.

And the verdict: WOW! Spending those 10 minutes in the tunnel could not have had a better impact on my skydiving. After returning from Colorado, I finished my AFF in one jump and am now only a few jumps away from my license.

So, the moral of my long narrative is this: if you're a student and having spin problems, take the time and money to visit a tunnel because chances are, regardless of how much it costs you, the couple hundred bucks you spend for those ten minutes will inevitably save you hundreds on re-done AFF jumps.

I had a very similar experience. At the time I didn't realize that spinning was a very common problem for students, and assumed I was just the worst natural skydiver ever! It sucked a lot, and I considered giving up.

Then I did 10 minutes in the tunnel. By the end of that I still felt pretty unsure of myself, but at least my awareness was better. The next time I jumped, I started spinning again! But then I took a second, relaxed, remembered what I had practiced, and fixed my body position. Spin stopped, and I finished the rest of the skydive like a pro.

For those of us who weren't naturals in the sky immediately, the tunnel really is an invaluable resource.

I think the advice is right on the money, even if you don't have a spin issue to work out. There are always exceptions, but I believe most people would benefit greatly from some tunnel time prior to starting AFF. It lets you work out basic control without the rest if the distractions that come when you first start to jump. Then when you start the AFF sequence you are better able to concentrate on the rest of the tasks. The tunnel time would probably save people from needing to repeat any of the AFF levels, and save money in the long run.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.