benpat

Skydiving with replacement knees

im not a doctor, but you dont have to land on your feet, you can slide it in as well...also you can get a bigger canopy and have a slower decent. i dont think its an end but there is a lot of research you can do and tlak to some of the old people (pops, sos....etc etc)
IHYD

My surgeon suggested that I was a good candidate for replacement knees,...

To some surgeons, just having knees makes you a good candidate for knee surgery. Get a second opinion and don't do it unless you really need it. ( Knee pain keeps you awake at night. Can't do the things you want to do. etc. Maxed out on anti-inflammatory Rx. ) Did you search the "Skydivers with disabilities" forum?
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

I was doing some hiking last month with an elderly guy that just had both knee joints replaced with artificials, only two months earlier. Even with the surgery that recent, he was getting along just fine over some really rough terrain. I don't see why skydiving should be a problem with them, but I ain't no M.D.

I forgot to mention in my previous reply, if you have the surgery done, try to find an orthopedic surgeon who can do the knee arthroplasty with the newer "small" incision. The recovery time is much faster, less complications, less bleeding. All around better procedure if done correctly.
Alton

"Luck favors the prepared."

I have done quite a few TKAs (total knee arthroplasties/replacements) and have seen the hardware come loose with traumatic impacts, however very rare. I've also had to remove hardware and it literally takes a hammer and chisel to pry it off.

Guess it depends on how much you love jumping and if it would be worth a revision. Best of wishes in what ever you choose. I will tell you it is a good procedure that people respond and recover well from.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----