jump2live

Becoming A Camera-Flyer

Hey all,

I was curious what it's like to be a Camera/Video-Flyer? I'm not even sure if that's what it's called, but the one who takes the pictures and videos for people doing their first tandems.

How do you become one (how many jumps/ what licenses are needed)? How much money/time it would cost before you'd be employable or see a return on investment?

Would it be a livable income for a single person to get by on or do most have other jobs?

I'd assume you probably wouldn't get any benefits such as health care, and dental?

If you are one, have been one, or just know the reality of doing this job, any insights would be really appreciated.

Consider:
200 Jump minimum before flying with a camera
500 jump recommendation before flying with tandems
cost of rig, jumpsuit for camera flying
cost of helmet, video cam, still cam, electronics
software and media for creating video
paying packers while splicing video

500 jumps X $20 a jump - 10k
gear mentioned above about - 5k

3 weeks of low pressure system and clouds= no work

health and dental - advil and plyers (meaning none)

livable income - RV and ramen noodles

going to have to live in cali or az to find a full time dz, chance of catching crabs, gout and scurvy at the dz fairly high.

still interested ?
dont let life pass you by

500 jumps X $20 a jump - 10k

That is a low estimate. It doesn't include AFF or that many DZ's are now charging $25 a jump.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't include any injuries. Skydiving is dangerous. You can't assume you won't get injured no matter how many jumps you have.

Hey all,

I was curious what it's like to be a Camera/Video-Flyer?
***** It's fantastic... Lots of excellent visual memories... many many smiles...and the chance to re-experience any skydive which you videoed,,, whenever you like :)
I'm not even sure if that's what it's called, but the one who takes the pictures and videos for people doing their first tandems.
**** it's called 'freefall videographer' or sometimes "camera flyer" :| ****

How do you become one (how many jumps/ what licenses are needed)?
***** by slowly making your way, down a long and particular path . Most say a minimum of 200 jumps and i suppose , that depending on choice of camera gear,, that could work... I'd say 4 hundred:o and then you're just beginning.....***

How much money/time it would cost before you'd be employable or see a return on investment?
**** tricky to answer... so much depends on where you ARE,,, whether the DZ has enough video people or whether they NEED video people...and whether you like to jump with Brand New gear, or second hand gear,,,let's just say 'thousands'!!! and leave it at that...:ph34r:***

Would it be a livable income for a single person to get by on or do most have other jobs?

*** pry not... you Might cover your fun jumps...but you won't be making as many,,[:/] IF you have to WORK.. filming Tandems and AFF...;)
let's call it 'break even' ..
Other Jobs????
hahaha You're damn right my Friend... I've had an "other job" for pretty much the Entire 38 years,,, that i've been a jumper..... Thanks to the current mess the economy is in.... i'll likely Always have to HAVE an "other " job !!:o****

I'd assume you probably wouldn't get any benefits such as health care, and dental?

***** Correcto-Mundo!!!B|.. for those sort of perqs.... Please see response above ,, which mentions,,, "other job"....:ph34r:*******

If you are one, have been one, or just know the reality of doing this job, any insights would be really appreciated

***** I am one,,, though not as often,, as i'd like lately... and the reality IS that it's a very fun and satisfying aspect of my skydiving....in fact,, camera flying may be what has kept me In the sport the last decade and a half...
i was at 1700 jumps, and kinda losing interest.. other things were taking up my time, and it was getting to be the "same old same old"... so on the advice of some videographers whom i admired,, i went and purchased a SONY camcorder, safely and securely affixed it to my helmet,,, and have been a happy camper ever since...I couldda faded long ago... if not for the fact that i always enjoy hearing those words,,, at the end of the day...from friends and fun jumpers...
"hey !! can i get a dub , of that "..????;)B|

Learn to skydive First... then learn to do it consistantly, safely and with respect to every aspect of the sport...Then concentrate on flying and proper canopy techniques.... then... maybe....think about a camera..
good luck...****

jmy
a 3914
d12122
nscr 1817

Hey thanks a lot for the info.

I can't believe the process it takes to get into this. I'm amazed now with the people who have made it that far! You guys must have spent every spare penny you had for many years before getting enough gear and jumps in.

So pretty much what you're saying is that when I go into a DZ, that the majority of the people there who are working, probably don't rely on that as their main income to survive off of?

i can only speak for myself....and for me,,, no way could my video work jumps.... meet all my obligations, responsibilities and needs...

perhaps at a Number of very busy Dz's all the hard work,,, AND 12-14 hour days...!!!!
that some of the staff
put in...... IS the only form of employment that they have...
and for sure !!! they EARN every dollar that they take in.....
For all those very special skydivers... who can arrive at the Dz with a smile,, help to introduce new people to our sport, and handle alll the behind the scenes details which are involved...as an instructor or DZo.. or even office / manifest staff....it CAN be their Full time and ONLY job....

others , who are In that position would have to chime in here ,,, to give that side of the story.
:)jmy

jump2live

i remember that same enthusiasm, excitement and energy that you,, and pretty much alll of us enjoyed during our start in skydiving...i keep a bit of it tucked away to help me stay in perspective in my life,,, AND at the dz..
Yours is apparent in this and other posts where you seem pretty much ready to pack up and MOVE.... to a DZ..!!!B|:)hahahahaha
which i guess can be a GOOD thing....and maybe i'm a bit envious that I Can NOT do the same ,, myself....
:o:P;)

Only...i'd caution you to not let that enthusiam ...distract you... toooo much at this point in your life..

Not sure..of your age, location and place in life...:| but i'm seeing you much as i see my own kids... Now in their mid to late 20's....:)Are you fortunate enough to have a nice job...
or are you without one,,,?
full time work?? part time work??

if not,, don't despair..
try to be the person who is looking for ,and finding that stable.. secure and yes,, sometimes Boring...
fact of Life.. which IS... having a job... [:/]

Let's not allow the current belief that "Jobs can't be found.." :( "unemployment is catching Everybody":| "it's not gettin' better" and "oh woe is me".... get the better of us...!!!

Apply some of your "juice" about this sport.. to use as motivation to get out there,, and look hard.. and Find.. work.. and become diligent about it.. no matter WHAT it is.. If you find you don't match up to it . or don't like it,, or don't like the people with whom you might be working,,,, after say, 2 weeks...
then You give notice...and move on...there is no longer a negative attitude about changing jobs,, and it IS possible to QUIT a job,,, in a classy and professional way...I've done it a couple of times;)
My kids and many others will likely work at up to a dozen jobs in the course of their lives..nothing wrong with that...since it can allow you to try many different things..
start looking again, and try something else...:|

The hard reality of it is that today... you HAVE to have an income....There can be many ways to accomplish that...legal or not,, moral or not...
for most,,,
income is generated from a J-O-B.. [:/]>:(
But the good side,, (besides regular pay..) is that you may get benefits,, which can vary,, and more importantly a sense of personal Satisfaction,, of pride.. or comfort.. knowing that you DO get out there,, day after day,, dealing with it all... and you ARE one of the admirable people in the community ,,, cause you work....
I dunno... maybe folks like that,,( me ) are the suckers,,[:/]:( maybe there is some other magic path to financial success...but that's a whole different thread.
Then you could consider changing your username from jump2live.. to works2jump....B|:)if you are young,, that's a good thing...enjoy the skydiving part of your life but still remain a 'regular person' in order to enjoy and pay for it...

Not trying to be preachy since I am a stranger to you.... and only give some thoughts here so t hat years and years from now...all is well... and maybe you'll be enjoying your skydiving , while "camera equipped"

jmy....out.

My DZ has two full-time camera jumpers, and lots of part-timers (who have other jobs).

Not only don't these folks get benefits... They are independent contractors, who I suspect are not covered by the workers compensation program for work related injuries.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hi Jmy,

No worries about feeling "prechy". That message is exactly the type of things I was hoping to hear off of this post.

You got it exactly right pretty much. I am turning 24 in a couple of weeks, and I have the "bug" bad!! All I think about, all I want to do, is go jump. On the plus side, I love camping, and most dz allow FREE camping for as long as you want. I have been working my butt off for the last year and saving every penny I could in order to take a couple month long backpacking trip in New Zealand. However, I am currently thinking that I just want to spend that money on skydiving. I've only gone once, but want to do the AFF and A license asap.

I guess you could say that I am in a beginning-life-crisis, and after high-school/college/working for a year, I'm just ready to do a little livin'! I was hoping that I could use my ambition to jump as a sort of potential investment for possible work in the future with camera-flying and whatnot. I studied philosophy in college and I think it has messed me up in the head... A regular 9-5 office space style doesn't appeal to me at all right now! However, I suppose that would change if I found the right woman and had kids and all that. But, right now, all I have is a drooling 135 pound dog named Camus and an itch to jump!

None-the-less, I will not take your insight for granted in the least bit and do appreciate your time and thought. I am definitely thinking now that camera-flying will have to just be an "extra" source of income, or at least just a way to support my hobby of fun jumps in the future if I get that far. I will definitely continue to ponder the fact that I shouldn't pass up a "good" solid job if it comes my way, or if I find one. It makes sense, especially with like you said, so many people are out of work due to the economy, and who knows how long this will last...

Thanks again!

-Michael