Tiggr

Weight belts...

...this may seem an odd question, so apologies if the answer is obvious :$(on the otherhand I suspect a mathematician might be needed to help!)

I have a slow fall rate (100mph) and am initially looking to use a weight belt to allow for better FS coaching. My one coach jump to date was a bit taxing on my instructor, who tells me he rarely has to fall so slowly. The question is quite simply this...how do I work out how much lead weight I need to carry to speed me up to an 'average' fall rate of, say, 120mph?

Any ideas as to how to work this out would be gratefully received (other than trial and error...I can figure that one myself! ;))

People's natural fall rates are so different that it would be very difficult to apply a mathematical formula to calculate how much lead to wear. Your best bet is trial and error, but don't go strapping on a ton of weight on your first "trial". It can seriously affect your canopy's wing loading, and you don't know how it will affect your freefall maneuvering.

Be safe and start with something like 6 lbs then work your way up. Add something like 3 or 4 lbs if 6 lbs isn't enough. Anything less than 3 lbs is not enough to make a difference. But don't go too heavy. 20 lbs is probably the upper limit. I wore 26 one time to do 4-way and it was way too much.

Then there is the matter of your jumpsuit. Nylon front, spandex arms, no mega booties.

Another thing that will help is body position. If you can get to a tunnel, do so.

Hope this helps!

no mega booties.

geez Ed, why don't you just cut off his arms and legs?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thanks, that seem sensible. My jumpsuit has a nylon front and spandex arms (although I am going to get the arms tightened a bit as they are a wee bit baggy, which wont help).

I tuck the booties out the way at present anyway, as I suspect they will only assist me inadvertently zooming backwards (until I rectify my tendency to bring my feet too near to my backside!).

Tunnel time has certainly assisted in showing me how to slow my fall rate (which I am quite good at but its unlikely to be necessary very frequently) and to speed it up by the extra-hard arch, but mantis leaves me a bit less stable at this early stage - hence the weight belt...:)

mantis leaves me a bit less stable at this early stage - hence the weight belt...

Stick with the mantis...even if you are less stable now. You'll get over the instability issues soon...and you'll thank yourself later for not having to unlearn bad habits.

Think of it as a short term setback that yields long term gains.

...this may seem an odd question, so apologies if the answer is obvious :$(on the otherhand I suspect a mathematician might be needed to help!)

I have a slow fall rate (100mph) and am initially looking to use a weight belt to allow for better FS coaching. My one coach jump to date was a bit taxing on my instructor, who tells me he rarely has to fall so slowly. The question is quite simply this...how do I work out how much lead weight I need to carry to speed me up to an 'average' fall rate of, say, 120mph?

Any ideas as to how to work this out would be gratefully received (other than trial and error...I can figure that one myself! ;))

The amount of additional weight you need depends on how heavy you are to begin with. If you're 80 pounds you will need less than if you're 250 pounds.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

no mega booties.

geez Ed, why don't you just cut off his arms and legs?

Hey, rehmwa, my point was that his booties should be taught and streamlined, not floppy and baggy B|

Will you teach my booties to be streamlined?

If you're 80 pounds you will need less than if you're 250 pounds.

Those floaty 250 pounders would probably have a tough time finding a weight belt that fits them. ;)

Not all heavy people fall like anvils, and not all light people fall like feathers.