jaffo

Suggestions for a Transition canopy

I have about 300 jumps, but I've been out of the sport for 9 years.

I'm currently jumping a run out PD230 (NO FLARE) and want to transition down to my Safire 160.

I'm thinking a Sabre 190 (or similar) next for about 50 jumps.

How do people do this? Where do they find canopies for short term use? Are there places to do short term leases?

Thanks in advance for all the post
Ryder
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

No prob. I don't know about short term lease, but I can guarantee;) there will be a Sabre 190 hitting the classifieds Monday. Got my eye on a Pilot. PM me Monday if you're interested.B|

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

If you are going to do those jumps in a reasonable time frame, using Demo canopies might be a good way to go. That would give you the chance to try out some different wings, and different sizes. If it fits in your rig, it would also keep you from having to jump unfamiliar gear (safer). It would keep you from having to buy or borrow something for just a few jumps, and help you determine if the Safire 160 is what you want/need or if one of the demos would make a good purchase.

Some DZ's have a better variety than others of rental gear. That would be the a good choice as well.

>I'm currently jumping a run out PD230 (NO FLARE) and want to transition
>down to my Safire 160.

My suggestion:
Demo a Pilot 210 or a Safire2 210 for a few weeks, put 20-25 jumps on it
Buy a used Pilot 188 or Safire2 189, put 50-100 jumps on it
From there you'll be in good shape to sell it and get a Safire2 168, if that's what you want to do at that point.

>How do people do this? Where do they find canopies for short term use?

Very short term use - borrow from friend or get a demo
Short term use - rent from gear store
Mid or long term use - buy and sell used canopies

I own a Safire 160 with under 100 jumps on it. I bought it new in 01. If all goes well, I want to get back to it.

Thanks for the advice.

Ryder

I can't speak from experience as I've been out of the sport for so long, but for what it's worth...

I read somewhere, I think the PD website, the best way to go about it is to go one size smaller with the same make of canopy you're used to. OR go to an eliptical of the SAME SIZE, then go one size smaller after every 50-100 jumps or so.
Of course I don't know of any elipticals over 200 sq ft so... ;)

>I own a Safire 160 with under 100 jumps on it.

Some suggestions there:

The original Safires were sized "large." In other words, a Safire 129 is really the same size as a Safire2 119. (I had a SF129 for a few years.)

(Did they _have_ a Safire 160? I forget the original sizing, but in the Safire2 line it's a 149 and 169. Should say on the tail of the canopy.)

I believe the Safire2 has some brake line mods that give it a somewhat better flare than the Safire. (Was definitely true with the Crossfire/Crossfire2.) If this is the case with yours, you may be able to get just the brake lines replaced if the flare isn't quite what you want.

Icarus used to advertise that you could pick your size. Any size. Guess that make sense seeing as they didn't know how to measure!! (just kidding)

I ordered it as a 160...I have no clue why, it was 9 years ago. According to what I could find online it's really more like a 148. (-8%)

I spent so much and it has less than 100 jumps on it. I hope to be able to use it again.

I just want to transition safely. I jump at a small DZ and there aren't a lot of canopies to choose from.

I'm jumping the only student rig and it's a PD 240. I have access to a Sabre 170, but I need like a 190 for the transition.

Ryder

If you have a rig that will fit a 190, then just order up a couple of demos. From PD alone you could try the Sabre2, Spectre, Storm, Pulse, or Silhouette. I think their demo deal is for two weekends, so two demos would last you a month. The Aerodyne Pilot is another popular choice, but I'm not sure of the details of their demo program. Either way, if it's just a transition canopy, that should do you just fine.

Have you asked around the DZ if anyone has a 190 you could borrow. A ragged out Sabre 190 might not be worth enough to even sell, but it would be just fine for 20 or 30 jumps. Maybe someone has one tucked away in a closet.

Also, if you have access to a Sabre 170, lay your Safire down on top of it, and see what the size really is. If you're going to jump PD canopies as transition canopies, it helps to know how your end canopy compares to the steps along the way.