theplummeter

What's a good price?

Our local rigger found some gear for what could be cheap and let me jump them a few weekends ago. I really enjoyed both the container/harness and main parachute, but am not sure what to offer.

The harness/container is a 2002 manufactured Velocity Sports Infinity. It is all black and has stainless everything. It currently houses a Crossfire 150 and a tempo 150ish reserve. The whole thing has about 400 jumps and looks to be in very good condition (almost new with a few small signs of wear). The rigger looked over it thoroughly and thinks it's in great condition.

The canopy that I jumped with the container is a 1999 Precision Batwing 171. It looks brand new and just came back from Precision after an inspection/service/reline. This canopy was in a Dolphin container that I don't care much for. The rigger put it in the Infinity with a Cypres for me to jump.

Both of these rigs have been sitting for over a year and both of the owners have quit the sport. I'm just wondering what a fair offer for the harness/container and canopy would be.

Info on the batwing can be found Here

How much do you weigh? That 150ish reserve is probably too small for you to want to jump, especially with 20 jumps.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My exit weight is right about 180 pounds. I have been jumping (and will continue to jump) a student Manta. I also have access to a Pilot 188 and similar sized PD reserve in a Mirage rig that I can borrow until I'm more comfortable downsizing.

I'm really trying to decide if this would be a good rig to end up with. I absolutely loved the Infinity, and the Batwing was fun for a jump, but I still have a ton to learn before I would be comfortable jumping it consistently. I also realize that given the Batwing's low popularity that I would likely be its last owner.

Info on the batwing can be found Here

How much do you weigh? That 150ish reserve is probably too small for you to want to jump, especially with 20 jumps.

Ditto. A WL of 1.2 for your first reserve is too much, you should really be looking for a 180 sqft (or bigger) reserve.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'd pass on the canopy. Its basically in the same family as a Stiletto and those canopies are not recommend for lower experience jumpers at all. Look for something more like a Sabre2, a Pilot or a Safire.

The Tempo measures slightly differently then the typical PD sizing so what you are seeing as a 150 is around the same size as a PD143 reserve. I would honestly pass on the whole rig with your exit weight for now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I agree with Phreezone & dragon2. You might have felt ok jumping it, but you don't know what you don't know.

A 150 (realistically more like a 143) is way too small for your 'last chance'. You have to think about opening it low from a spinning main, having to land off, in someones back yard because you won't make it back to the dz, possibly down wind with no room to screw up (power lines, fence, house).

Buy something thats right for you NOW, in one or two hundred jumps, you will know more of what you want and what to look for. Just keep in one piece until then.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The Tempo measures slightly differently then the typical PD sizing so what you are seeing as a 150 is around the same size as a PD143 reserve. I would honestly pass on the whole rig with your exit weight for now.

The Tempo is actualy smaller than the pd143r.
The tempo 150 = is 144 square feet, the PD143R = 150 square feet.
http://www.pia.com/piapubs/TSDocuments/TS-104CanopyVolume.pdf