TheOneBigMike

420lb male skydiving. Possible? Yes, but how?

After that I will have more knowledge as to the required capability of the gear (ie deployment speed).

Assuming you are not a troll...

It is not the gear, it's the landings that are your risk. I am sure I could find a way to teach you to freefall. I just don't think I could sleep at night after you got hurt landing a parachute. I have done nearly 1000 instructor jumps, enough to have had some students get hurt on landings, I have had a few people I have taught go to the hospital (heck I even carried a friend out of a canyon after a BASE landing injury), and enough to see trends of the type of people more prone to injury. I would not risk jumping with you at this point because I could not sleep at night after you got hurt knowing it would be my fault for accepting a student who had a medical condition that could be "fixed" prior to the jump. Conditions that can't be "fixed", such as old age, I am much more willing to risk when the student can recite to me the fact they understand the risk and can express why the reward is worth accepting the risk. To me it is like this. If a student came to me with epilepsy, I would take them if the doctor said they were the most stable they could be with modern medicine. If they were untreated and did not mitigate the risk of seizure, I would say "sorry, come back as soon as you can, go see the doc, fix the problem."

So, instead of testing yourself in a windtunnel for freefall skills, you need to test your landing skills.
Can you jump off of a refrigerator, on wheels being pushed at 5 MPH, 10 times in a row, onto concrete or very uneven ground, possibly covered with rocks, and immediately run 10 steps? You don't have to be the world's greatest athlete to land a parachute safely, but you have to be athletic.

P.S. I am not a unsympathetic asshat. I was overweight for the first half of my life and I understand what it was like to lose weight and what it felt like prior to losing weight when I could not do things my friends could do. If you need help, I am available via phone or email, and I will give you the support you need to have a peer who "forces" you to exercise every day and holds you accountable to your own goals.

Good luck!

Bang on. As a clinician I've seen a patient of this size who had an open book fracture of the pelvis from just falling off the back seat of a taxi when it braked suddenly, all she did was land on her knees from a sitting position. As has been said elswhere in this thread its not just the safety of the OP at risk when thinking about jumping at his size and weight. I'd hate to hear that OP had injured themselves or even died following a hard landing. If the OP wants to be insirational then lose the weight and show us and good luck to him.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

If you can keep up with the shade.

If you exit after him, you will get extra altitude ;)

More than likely if you're exiting after him, you'll whack the ceiling of the plane as the tail springs up. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi there, new to the dropzone. I was referred here by the two dopzones closest to me (Alberta). I'm hoping someone with some experience dealing with this scenario will chime in. I'm a 22 year old, 6' 420 lb male. I'm actually in excellent physical shape considering my size I have been contemplating for some time now, and finally have said enough is enough, I want to do it. My problem has been finding equipment and instructors to accomodate. I am at the complete understandng that I will have to purchase my own custom made gear, and am willing. I'm looking for assistance locating the gear manufacturers that are willing to undertake this journey into unknown territory as well as the instructor willing to teach someone so eager to learn. Have passport, will travel. If anyone has any information to offer, that would be greatly appreciated. [email]

I would call Nancy at JumpShack. I was discussing your situation with John Sherman and you will be surprised how possible jumping could be. Skydive Deland is steps away from JumpShack - a road trip to FLA may be the quickest way to find out...