BBowden85

Question About BASE Jumping

If anyone can just give me there insight it would be appreciated. Im just now about to start my AFF program so I know its going to be a few years down the road before I even start thinking about BASE Jumping. I'm just wondering how much experience and around how many jumps would one want to have or complete to start BASE Jumping? The reason I want to get into skydiving is to one day start BASE Jumping as well.

x2.

But, since you're here I will answer your question. 200 skydives is the general recommendation. But, I know that at Bridge Day, they are offering a course for those with 100 skydives. But, nothing stops you from starting with zero skydives... just don't be surprised if you're not very welcomed in the BASE community. It's a dangerous sport/activity that already has a bad name and they don't want to associate with people that make it look even worse.

So, make sure you gain a lot of experience. For example, don't be one of those skydivers that get's his license and then never packs his parachute. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with letting someone else pack for you, but if you're interested in BASE jumping, you need to learn everything you can about parachutes and the gear. After all, when you BASE jump, you don't have a reserve parachute. You have one shot to get it right and it's essential that you know your gear.

Take advantage of down time. Last night when the loads were done, I spent 3 hours just packing the same rig over and over again. One time I came in to skydive... I secured a rig, unpacked it, then repacked it myself before making my first jump. Also, another thing you can do is get with an instructor on the ground, pull the cutaway handle off the rig, and learn how to clean the cables and reassemble the 3-ring system. Granted, this may have nothing to do with BASE jumping, but it's essential (for your own safety) to be intimately curious about your gear and how everything works. (I actually had a BASE jumper teach me that that thing about the 3 rings). BASE is more than just jumping off a fixed object and pulling out a parachute.

Learn how to fly your canopy. It should be obvious... but, apparently it's not when I see some people learning to skydive.
Don't forget to pull!

A lot of skydivers disagree, and will say 200 jumps is the number. however, I know BASE jumpers that started at 200 and never should have started even skydiving. I also know some that started at 40 skydives and are the safest and most skilled BASE jumpers alive. (one in particular has 1500 BASE jumps now)

The amount of preparation needed depends on how willing or able you are to absorb the information quickly, and also how much of it is already there.

-SPACE-

The key thing for you to think about is canopy control. That will help in skydiving, and will be especially helpful in BASE jumping. Don't be in a rush. Target about 200 jumps as your starting point, but discuss that with local jumpers who know your actual skill level, and who ideally have BASE experience.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

IMO there is one thing you should be doing to prepare for BASE.

Ask yourself why you want to BASE.

If it takes you less than a week to answer that question, you're not done.

Find a copy of the BASE fatality list, and make sure you read and understand it before you answer that question.

Find some BASE jumpers, (they should be difficult to find, if they are not then they are not the right ones) and ask them why they jump.

Your best bet to find them is to learn to skydive and wait. Relax, become a good skydiver, and if you're right for BASE, and they are the right ones to teach it, they will find you.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

in reply to "The reason I want to get into skydiving is to one day start BASE jumping as well. "

You're not the lone ranger here;)

If you really want to learn and do Base jumping you can learn it with no skydiving experience.

You and others may find it preferable to have a few specific skills before you go base. eg being able to fly. Not many people can do this without some practice first.

Time in skydiving world can be used to your advantage if rather than getting too distracted you focus on learning skills that will be useful while basejumping .
eg*Canopy control . learning to fly a canopy accurately with confidence . You can use a base type canopy while skydiving to rack up heaps of 7cell experience. If you want it is even possible to give yourself malfunctions and practice dealing with them as per base procedures.
*body control. learning to fly your self . Similar thing as with your canopy .

I'd suggest not being too jump number obsessed but more interested in actual skill acquisition.

200 skydives can get you a lot of tracking skills if you tracked on every jump.
If you practice a proper accuracy approach on 200 skydives you could almost be an accuracy champion as well.

Then when you go base jumping you don't have to worry about flying .....only jumping.

enjoy :)

Try to get a few balloon or helicopter jumps so you know what a dead air exit feels like. Also being able to take your gear apart (supervised by a rigger so you don't mis-rig and die) is key, as you will be putting sliders on and taking them off and swapping out pilot chutes. Watch how a reserve gets packed.

Get REAL good health insurance and read the riders, make sure "parachute" accidents are not excluded from your coverage.