JohnnyMarko

Fun solo Cessna exits

So with all my friends going to Couch Freaks this weekend, Im pretty much going to be the only fun jumper at my DZ this weekend, which means Ill be stealing the 4th spot on all the tandem loads on the 182 (TI, tandem, videographer, me) and Im looking for some fun exits to do. Any suggestions?

Try some of the video slot exits, they're pretty neat if you haven't done them before. Like a door hang and backwards behind the strut. Try launching out of the V. You may be able to try a bat-hang exit. Its hard to climb down and hang off the step.

The thing is, with a tandem pair and video on the load, too much screwing around puts the pilot and the plane in a bad position. For instance, with a cut and a notch of flaps, the pilot will start to run out of control if you try to hand over hand "walk" down the leading edge of the wing.

The point is, talk to the TI and the pilot to see what level of "fun" is acceptable to everyone involved.

My absolute favorite 4th slot exit to do is a standard exit on a hop-n-pop for a nice swoop. If you do it right and pack fast, you can make the next load!:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

if u have a pilot thats worth a sh!t bat hangars and hand walking the wing is no big deal, just ask him to open the door a little earlier so you have time to set up. ive got plenty of bat hangars on tandem video intros. super fun, make sure you cross your arms acrosss your chest, it looks wayy cooler on video!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

if u have a pilot thats worth a sh!t bat hangars and hand walking the wing is no big deal, just ask him to open the door a little earlier so you have time to set up. ive got plenty of bat hangars on tandem video intros. super fun, make sure you cross your arms acrosss your chest, it looks wayy cooler on video!

Ever seen a premie off the step? If the pilot isn't setup and ready to slip, the tail is in the way. With a tandem pair in the back of the plane it could get "sporty." Think of the bigger picture!

Ever seen a premie off the step? If the pilot isn't setup and ready to slip, the tail is in the way. With a tandem pair in the back of the plane it could get "sporty." Think of the bigger picture!

elaborate please? i confoozed

A 182 pilot who is experienced with SL/IAD student deployments knows he may need to slip the plane to clear the tail from the opening canopy. If a jumper has a premature opening on the step while climbing around, then the same danger still presents its self. With a tandem pair "walking" their way to the door, they may be back behind a bad spot for CG in the airplane. So the pilot has already slowed the plane down for you to climb around the airframe and is starting to run out of controls (can't push the rudder in any more or move the yoke over anymore) and the weight/balance of the plane is on the edge due to a tandem pair. Then you have a premie off the step while trying to climb out for a bat-hang exit. The pilot may not have enough control or the attention directed towards you or have enough time to react correctly.

The point isn't to not have fun, the point is to talk to the pilot and the TI before doing goofy stuff.;)

i figured thats what you meant...we do IAD at my DZ so the pilot knows how to handle students on the strut and last weekend i geeked the camera hanging from the strut and told him before hand...i imagine climbing all the way out on the wing is a different story...thanks for the info!