Cinders

Skydiving mags

I got handed a Blue Skies mag the other day at the DZ when looking for something to write on real quick.

Days later, I notice it again and flip through it. I really dig that mag, but it makes me question why I get the literary journal-like Parachutist. I slog through it, looking for something interesting. Maybe a good pic or two, usually boring, wooden articles and pieces. An incident report section that doesn't give me any decent info. They never go back and fill in the blanks on why an incident happened. Most are recent, and so are uninformative and rambling about "the rules state".

The "watch out for" part is good, though.

These forums are better with incidents, in fact. I sometimes get a clue as to what happened and why, so I can think about avoiding it. Reading "It is unknown why he/she did not pull, but USPA rules state that you must pull..", "not hitting the ground is important..", "USPA rules state that pulling before hitting the ground is mandatory", etc for nearly a full page is crap in the Parachutist.

Basically, I don't like the parachutist. I do like Blue Skies. Are there any other mags out there? I wish my USPA membership let me pick which mag I got.

Basically, I don't like the parachutist. I do like Blue Skies. Are there any other mags out there? I wish my USPA membership let me pick which mag I got.

The BPA magazine is quite good but also pretty pricey to have it sent to the US.

The thing about Parachutist is that it's necessarily going to be "safer" as the magazine produced by the association. However, the quality of the content is something you can do something about - the majority of the articles are submitted by members. Pitch them a story idea and write it. Then the only "wooden" writing you have to complain about is your own.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah... there are some people here who don't like the BPA Mag, but I suspect they haven't seen other associations' efforts (or just don't want a magazine, which is fair I suppose). I think it's excellent.

Blue Skies is way cool too B|

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The BPA magazine is quite good but also pretty pricey to have it sent to the US.

Some back issues can be enjoyed online
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Some back issues can be enjoyed online

Awesome:ph34r:. Thanks for the link.

The BPA magazine is usually full of the same old faces,one issue had 16 pictures of the same person. Not much to actually read. occasional issue has kit revue which can be intersting,but more often ,its a quick scan--then-in the bin !Too much of a FANZINE !