irishrigger

PDFT Incident in Switzerland 11/3/10 - get well/general discussion

Informative, but not the incident where Shannon was hurt.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Informative, but not the incident where Shannon was hurt.

I understand that, but it goes into the fact it happened before...Lucky for JC, he got away with it!

more understanding of the lay of the land, for those of us that have not been to Sweeden!

Actually , I would endorse the idea that even the best guys do get hurt. Skydivers push the envelope at all levels of experience. It is an important thing for everyone to remember, there simply isn't a plateau of invincibility and there is always that drive for a new risk that should be managed.

I would encourage everyone to learn both the positive and negative lessons from icons in the sport.

Ditto what he said.

And an additional component to that lesson is the experience over a LONG time and a GREAT number of jumps/flights, is that when the best do fall, their experience is often what causes them to be injured INSTEAD of killed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Guys, just created this thread for "get well soon" posts and more general discussions of those sorts of incidents in general.

Some of the posts here do indeed pertain specifically to the incident. Sorry about that; our system doesn't easily allow individual posts to be moved over, and I moved a bigger chunk of them than I planned to.

More good news about Shannon today:

Another good day today. Shannon was awake earlier today and still seems to be responding well to all the doctors' questions and tests. He was asking for coffee most of the day. His body is healing from the physical injuries slowly and he has some colour back in his face. He still has a long road to recovery from the head trauma though and is still under observation.

Some more of the team are heading back to the US in the morning but a few are staying here with the family a little while longer. We'll pass on the updates when we hear of changes to Shannon's condition. Little by little....

Quote of the night goes to Shannon's Mom to Jay on the way back home tonight " you may be a world champion but that doesn't mean you can drive that van"... That just happened...

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon