flr169

Lease rates for a C-182

Just curious if anyone out there has any accurate numbers for a lease rate for a C-182 in Canada...for skydiving of course...

Or

What are all the possible variables to take into account for setting a lease rate...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. trying to get a better understanding to possible do some negotiating this spring ...

Thanks

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Hard numbers are very difficult. You have to take into account regional variations in costs for various things.

Wet or dry? Fuel isn't cheap. And skydiving burns a lot of it per hour.

Tach hours or Hobbs? Because skydiving is a lot of climbing, the Tach hours accumulate faster than under normal ops.

General maintenance. Oil changes every 25 hours. Not too bad if you do it yourself (legal in the US). Pretty spendy to have an A&P do it for you.

How much is an annual inspection? And how many of the lease hours per year? More hours is less per annual, but then you have to take into account the periodic inspections (here in the US inspections are required every 100 hours in addition to the annual).
And keep in mind, once an airplane reaches a certain age, the costs of fixing the stuff the annual finds that are wrong often equal or exceed the cost of the inspection.

Maintenance reserve funds. Primarily for the engine. Again, skydiving is hard on the plane. If you know what you are doing and are careful in the operation of it, the engine can make TBO just fine. But it isn't too hard to do a lot of damage pretty quickly through shock-cooling, and that gets expensive fast.

Depreciation ususally isn't an issue because the value is pretty stable.

These are the issues I can think of off the top of my head. I am certain I am missing some.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The early 182's don't have an oil filter, only a screen and that's why the 25 hour oil change. Even with a filter STC it only goes to 50 hours. A case of synthetic oil cost about $80 bucks. They hold 12 quarts.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Wow 25hours? no longer if you were to use synthetic such as mobil one or royal purple?

It sounds as if that were written to address only standard oils

Like DBCOOPER said. No filter, just a screen. The standard aviation oil isn't all that expensive (it ain't cheap either, but not as bad a synth). I don't know for sure, but I don't think synths would extend it any. The oil isn't "worn out", just dirty.
We don't run the plane all that much anymore. It certainly isn't going full blast all weekend long.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Interesting....

Can anyone tell me approx. what a DZ would be paying for a lease on a C-182....

The more info the better

Thanks

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Can anyone tell me approx. what a DZ would be paying for a lease on a C-182....

A lot of that has to do with the terms of the lease. Is this a weekend lease, where the plane returns to it's home base duing the week?

Is maintenance included in this lease, or are you responsible for the maintenance?

Who is providing the pilot? The fuel?

Is there a minimum number of hours per week? Per month? For the whole season?

All of the above factors will effect the lease rate. Leasing an airplane is not like leasing a car in that operating an airplane is more involved than operating a car and there are more factors to consider.

Much like leasing a car, the type of airplane will effect the lease rate, however. I know you said 182, but there are widebody, and narrowbody 182s, with the widebody being the more desireable. Is it powered by the standard 230hp engine, or has that been upgraded? Wing extentions? STOL kit? Jump door and step already installed?

I think the best thing for you to do is to see what's available first, then ask these questions second. If you only find one plane that might work, then it's just a matter of seeing if the deal is fair. If you can find more than one, then you can make some comparisons between your different prospects, and see what fits your bill better.

It sounds like you might be in-experienced in the area of aricraft operations, and if that's the case, I would avoid any provider who doesn't have general lease terms already in place. You may find an aircraft owner looking to make some money off their plane, but if they have never leased to a DZ, and you have never leased from an owner, you're bound to run into problems when things neither of you thought of occur mid-season. What happens if you cook a cylinder one weekend? Is the owner going to be preparred to have a new jug installed during the week to have you back online for the nest weekend? Will he have the cash reserves set aside that type of service?

It's not going to be much help, but you could spend anywhere from $120 to $180 US per hour for a 182, depending on the extent of the lease.

The early 182's don't have an oil filter, only a screen and that's why the 25 hour oil change. Even with a filter STC it only goes to 50 hours. A case of synthetic oil cost about $80 bucks. They hold 12 quarts.

Depending on your model (ours is a 1959) check your service manual. When you get rid of the screen and move to an approved spin on oil filter, the oil change "ABILITY" increases.

Don't be stupid though. If you go to 100 hrs you will be paying mega $$$ in maintenance costs in the long run. Always change the oil every 50 hours but with the 100 hr "ability" in your approved maintenance schedule, you can run up to 55 or 58 hours to get you through the weekend without having to pay an AME/AMO $65 to write a single line in your book to get a 10 hr extension. That alone pays for the 50 hr oil change.