Throttlebender

What's with all the shoulder dislocations?

I've been a martial artist, a wrestler, classical dancer, rock climber, snow boarder and now skydiver through most of my life, And I just can't understand all the shoulder dislocations.

Now having said that, I'll probably have one[:/] but I wonder what the overiding feeling is as to why there are so many in this sport.
I generally think that many other sports are riskier, but it seems that I read about dislocations all the time.

Thoughts?
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

When flying on the belly people work with the arms up alot, where it is easier to get the shoulder dislocated. People are also not warmed up which probably contributes a little and since little physical strength is required, the shoulder muscles is probably weaker for the average skydiver compared to the average rock climber.

People can still skydive with a weaker shoulder, but the same people would probably stop climbing or some martial arts.

But I think it is largly a matter of selection. Since people most often can continue to skydive with a bad shoulder (after it has healed some), those people might mention it on forums. People in other sports will often quit and not write so much about it on forums.

A lot of the stories I've seen with dislocations have also involved exits. Exit with arms too stiff and extended, have it not go perfectly, but try to hold on and bam! dislocated shoulder. What other sport do you have where people are spinning around in the sky trying to hold onto one another?

Also, once you dislocate your shoulder, you have a higher risk of doing it again. There is a good chance that those who dislocate their shoulder skydiving have a prior injury. I know two different people who frequently dislocate their shoulder during skydiving b/c of such an injury. One guy didn't even freak out he just laid down on our manifest counter and had somebody help him pop his shoulder back in. He just went about like it was nothing after it was back in.

Theres a lot of force put on the shoulders in skydiving not to mention that your putting the shoulders at their most vunerable position at deployment. I dislocated my left one twice in 2 months on deployment. I did have prior shoulder disloctions from motocross though so it was bound to happen

I've been a martial artist, a wrestler, classical dancer, rock climber, snow boarder and now skydiver through most of my life, And I just can't understand all the shoulder dislocations

None of those activites can match the 360 degree range of motion you can experiecne on a skydive. In the case of taking grips on another jumper, if you don't drop them when you should, you're swining around 150 to 200 lbs of 'dead weight' in ways you could never replicate outside of freefall.

That freedom is part of the beauty of skydiving, but also one of the pitfalls if you don't drop grips when things go to shit. If you had a 150 lb load pulling you over backwards on the ground, you would let go right away. In freefall, people hold on, and while it might not be the full weight of the jumpers pulling you backwards, it's enough to pop the shoulder out.

Poor general fitness and muscle tone is likely for most.

But accidents also happen to the most fit of people. And skydiving can expose us to normally very unnatural poses and joint angles.

Things in skydiving can also happen VERY fast and with a LOT of force.

And skydiving does tend to have a much larger age and fitness range than more athletic sports that see these types of injuries.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The anatomy of the shoulder is vulnerable to dislocation when the shoulder is in the typical 90/90 deployment position and force is exerted backward on the upper arm. This is a relatively uncommon position and direction of force in other sports. Striking the head of the humerus on the doorframe on exit can directly cause a dislocation. This can happen in a crowded diver exit (such as a speed star)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!