bdurham

Help!

so i was packing at home and my fiancee had found a shard of glass 2 or 3 feet away while i was cocooning my canopy. Agh, now im freaking out that i have a shard of glass inside my canopy. To remind anyone that cares, its a good idea to vacuum and check the ground before you throw your canopy down. Anyone have an idea how i can throughly inspect my canopy, i want to take it to my rigger, should i? and should I un pack it in the mean time?

I say the fastest way to find out if its damaged is just go ahead and jump it.

I think it would be a much better idea for you to jump it. Better yet, I'll happily pack my main in a room full of glass shards and pony up for you to jump it. There's a pretty good chance we don't need a rigger to inspect it.... probably no chance any glass got anywhere near the reserve.

:S
Owned by Remi #?

so i was packing at home and my fiancee had found a shard of glass 2 or 3 feet away while i was cocooning my canopy. Agh, now im freaking out that i have a shard of glass inside my canopy. To remind anyone that cares, its a good idea to vacuum and check the ground before you throw your canopy down. Anyone have an idea how i can throughly inspect my canopy, i want to take it to my rigger, should i? and should I un pack it in the mean time?

First off, stop drinking the beer while packing, especially if you are breaking the bottles!!;););)

Yes, unpack and inspect it.

Look at every surface, seam, line, stitching in the lines, whatever.

It isn't exactly rocket science. It is fabric and lines. Look for damage.

Don't forget to look inside the canopy. Junk can get inside.

Getting someone to help you so you can hold the canopy up to the light will make it easier to find holes. Bright sunny daylight works very well for this.

Were you pro-packing or flat packing? Different parts of the canopy touch the ground with different packing methods. Think about what might have been damaged, and be sure to be really thorough when you examine those areas.

If you are still worried after your inspection, by all means, take it to your rigger.

To expand a little on what riggerpaul said - The easiest way to inspect a canopy is to hang it up by the tail. If there is any junk inside the cells, it will usually fall out with a good shake.

If you have somewhere that you can stretch the entire canopy out, that is great, but you can do it one cell at a time if space is limited.

Don't laugh too hard, but if you have a bathtub/shower, hanging the canopy from the shower curtain rod works surprisingly well. Bathrooms are usually well lit. If you stand in the bathtub, the light will be behind the canopy and holes will be easier to spot.

Alternatively, having your fiancee hold a strong light while you get inside each cell is an option. Don't take the light inside with you, or let her hold it too close to the fabric. The heat can do damage very quickly if you aren't very careful.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

or you can use a climbers headlamp when climbing inside cells :) works much better on darker canopies when one wants to get really anal about inspections ...

Oooh...

I like that idea.

And you say "anal about inspections" like it's a bad thing ;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

jump it, if it'sin there it will come out. if it's a big piece of glass you have a reserve:P
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Just remember the cross ports are supposed to be there. They're those holes in the ribs.

Awwwwwww... I would've loved to hear him try to rationalize how a shard of glass cut a bunch of same sized holes in all of his ribs!:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just remember the cross ports are supposed to be there. They're those holes in the ribs.

Awwwwwww... I would've loved to hear him try to rationalize how a shard of glass cut a bunch of same sized holes in all of his ribs!:D

Don’t laugh, I had a guy bring me his main and wanted the “holes” patched. I was tempted to patch them all and charge him accordingly. :)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals