Psychonaut

For those involved with collegiate skydiving clubs..

I'm needing to ask a few questions for those who have dealt with it first hand; dealing with the relationship between those trying to start/run the club and the university itself concerning insurance, liabilities, etc.

Please PM me if you think you'd be able to help, thanks.
Stay high pull low

I have though it would be nice to get a club at my school. The issues that I have noticed was that a lot of people just want a free jump.

But any info that you get would be nice, to pass on.

Is there any specific information you'd need? You seem quite broad and general. If you haven't even started yet, you have a lot of work to do; but feel free to shoot me a message if you ever have any questions.

My specific inquiry has to do with legalities and insurance.
Stay high pull low

I'm needing to ask a few questions for those who have dealt with it first hand; dealing with the relationship between those trying to start/run the club and the university itself concerning insurance, liabilities, etc.

Please PM me if you think you'd be able to help, thanks.

Lots of info available here: http://collegeskydiving.com/

The gent who runs/started the site is probably the best person I know for this kind of info. Helped me out big time when I started a club/team at my school in 2006.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I started out with that, but it seems a little bit dusty and forgotten. I have been in touch with him initially but haven't gotten replies when I more recently contacted him.

Start reaching out to other well established clubs you see on that website. UConn, Georgia Tech, UF Falling Gators, etc, etc. They'll probably help you out.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Its usually best to discuss these issues with the experts at your particular institution, as different states and different institutions have different rules. Surely there are other sports with similar reputations to skydiving at your school, so maybe it is possible to talk with the people in charge of their insurance etc. For instance here, we have one group that provides insurance for the skydiving club, motocross club, the snowboard and ski club, the rugby team, and many others, all of which need their own special waivers but are ultimately governed by a single body and subject to the same requirements as far as insurance and liability goes.

The free jump thing is a problem here as well, but as our funding is determined by membership, we have every university student who does a tandem sign up for membership and therefore count towards the number that determines how much funding we get. We have found that the initial amount of funding we recieved from this was enough to fully pay for a trip to Collegiate Nationals, about 400 "training jumps", and still have enough left over to kick back a pretty hefty discount to the kids interested in tandems in hopes that they would become interested enough to pursue AFF.

Our student government, who decides our funding, has been extremely supportive as long as we let them know that it distinguishes our school from others and provides a unique opportunity for students.