waveoff5500

first mal!

so yesterday the ohio weather cooperated for a little while long enough for me to get two coach jumps in. i was doing the long swoop and dock dive, and we broke at 5000' i turned and tracked and pulled around 4000. i waited to feel the tug and immediately i knew something was wrong. i looked over my shoulder to check my canopy and all i saw was my bag above me unopened. i was still in quite a bit of free fall, so i didnt hesitate and reached for my cutaway handle, thankfully the motion of my reaching for my handle caused the bag to come off and i felt the tug of the main opening. opened up with a ton of line twists and spinning slowly. managed to kick them out and still land safely on the dz. it was quite an exciting minute or so and got my heart beating. im pretty happy with how i reacted to a malfunction without hesitating to cut away. thankfully i didnt have to. just thought i would share my first encounter! on a better note four more jumps til im done with my card for my A and 9 more til ive completed 25!

blue skies!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

thanks! i didnt pack it myself (i did get signed off on packing today though) but i mentioned it to the packer and it seems that the lines had just been waxed, so that with the combination of double stows must have caused the bag hesitation. im happy to be packing myself now though because then if anything happens i know who caused it! :P

"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

thanks! i didnt pack it myself (i did get signed off on packing today though) but i mentioned it to the packer and it seems that the lines had just been waxed, so that with the combination of double stows must have caused the bag hesitation. im happy to be packing myself now though because then if anything happens i know who caused it! :P

Waxing lines ? I don't think jumpers wax lines anymore. Double wrapping stows is also kinda out. That is why there are two sizes of rubber bands. Large and Small. Use them in the appropriate locations.

Life is short ... jump often.

Waxing lines ? I don't think jumpers wax lines anymore. Double wrapping stows is also kinda out. That is why there are two sizes of rubber bands. Large and Small. Use them in the appropriate locations.

I wouldn't wax any lines. If they're getting grippy enough to cause tension knots, they're due for a change.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This is why I have no problem being a high puller for a while. More time to sort things out.

Please, please get away from the idea that you have "time".
Time is the last thing you should be thinking about. It's altitude that concerns you, not time.

Anytime you are having a problem you need to know your altitude...THAT'S what tells you your limits, not time.

There's a couple of reasons for this:
1. Time distortion - Your perception of time is going to be off when that adrenaline hits your brain as you realize you are having a problem.
2. Your altimeter - It doesn't suffer time distortion. It doesn't lie to you like your brain does.
3. You have Decision Altitude, not a Decision Time.

Thanks in advance.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I wouldn't wax any lines.

I heard rumors that you wax your tan line.
:o

Rumors? I showed you a few weeks ago!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

That explains the blood dripping off my eyelids.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That explains the blood dripping off my eyelids.
:D:D

I told you my ass was white... you're the one that wanted the mental image 'burned' into your eyes!

This is why I have no problem being a high puller for a while. More time to sort things out.

Please, please get away from the idea that you have "time".
Time is the last thing you should be thinking about. It's altitude that concerns you, not time.

Anytime you are having a problem you need to know your altitude...THAT'S what tells you your limits, not time.

There's a couple of reasons for this:
1. Time distortion - Your perception of time is going to be off when that adrenaline hits your brain as you realize you are having a problem.
2. Your altimeter - It doesn't suffer time distortion. It doesn't lie to you like your brain does.
3. You have Decision Altitude, not a Decision Time.

Thanks in advance.

Excellent point. Thanks Pops!