kgp4death

free online Video/Training material

got my licence but just seems to me there is a lack of free online training material.....i mean you can learn anything online but there are almost no training type videos for skydiving.....i have found "purchasable material but most of that is like from the 80's.....Am I not looking hard enough or are there like no videos on youtube....you see normal jumps but nothing that would be educational. Can anybody direct me to a site or something that would help me learn things like canopy control, i mean might as well do something while it is winter and the dropzones near me are closed.....

Not free but a very good investment:

The Skydiving Survival Series

This is a set of five videos:
BREAK-AWAY
FLY LIKE A PRO
GROUND RUSH
PACK LIKE A PRO
TROUBLE FREE ZERO P

One of many sources:
http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=461&level=1
Item: V90350
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You're right that there aren't tons of free training videos. It's not cheap to make a quality video. Slots/video still cost money, production costs aside. There is a ton of free text-based material though.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

can a mod please delete this post and reenable this ( http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3984834;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread ) post i was asked to combine the threads but the other one makes more sense/is in the proper forum/plus i can't edit anymore for some reason

Thanks

Ya gotta stop and think here...

Why would someone do thousands of jumps, learn video equipment, (which has to be updated every fuckin 6 months)>:( then give away their labor?

for the gain, the videos that are out there, are worth ten times thier asking price...

What do you do for a living OP? (just curious)

ok thanks for the help that would work......can a mod please edit this post to model the other post's title and first post content here is the other post....the first post on the other thread just makes more sense....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3984834;page=unread#unread

ps to skyrider.....I am a computer programmer, I have worked on many open source projects and released many free for all type programes/games. That might be why I want to do this.

Why would someone do thousands of jumps, learn video equipment, (which has to be updated every fuckin 6 months)>:( then give away their labor?

for the gain, the videos that are out there, are worth ten times thier asking price...

It does not have to be updated every 6 months. More like every year. Unless you use an Apple system, then it's every 2 weeks.:P

I think the "found this on Youtube" stuff is great training material if there is context.
For example, the kid that borrowed a helmet with a GoPro on it when he had 40 jumps, lost alti awareness from his first heli jump and his new rig, you can hear the audible beeping on the GoPro recording...as he deploys so low he can't make it back to a massive landing area...
A newbie watching it might think "WOW! That was COOL!". An experienced skydiver thinks "what an idiot."
But it is a great training tool.
I regularly use YouTube to collect videos to share with students but without a voice to direct the context of information, it's somewhat useless and potentially dangerous.
Look at all the dumbasses out there now not pulling reserve handles "because I knew the Skyhook would beat me" or "That's what the RSL is for." Compounding that are the dumbasses that film themselves being dumbasses. However, newer jumpers don't comprehend what they're seeing without that contextual voice.

It does not have to be updated every 6 months. More like every year. Unless you use an Apple system, then it's every 2 weeks.:P

I think the "found this on Youtube" stuff is great training material if there is context.
For example, the kid that borrowed a helmet with a GoPro on it when he had 40 jumps, lost alti awareness from his first heli jump and his new rig, you can hear the audible beeping on the GoPro recording...as he deploys so low he can't make it back to a massive landing area...
A newbie watching it might think "WOW! That was COOL!". An experienced skydiver thinks "what an idiot."
But it is a great training tool.
I regularly use YouTube to collect videos to share with students but without a voice to direct the context of information, it's somewhat useless and potentially dangerous.
Look at all the dumbasses out there now not pulling reserve handles "because I knew the Skyhook would beat me" or "That's what the RSL is for." Compounding that are the dumbasses that film themselves being dumbasses. However, newer jumpers don't comprehend what they're seeing without that contextual voice.

Like jumping without a parachute????some get famous!:ph34r::D

here is the other posts content....can a mod plesase modify the first post/subject to reflect the thread combine.....thanks

Subject:Donate your video to online free training/instruction project

------------------------------------------------------------
I feel that the community is lacking a online video instruction and training type material. Everything i see is purchuseable material and I really feel like the comunity would benifit from a free instructional video site that would help beginners gain some understanding and help them through aff as well as more experienced people with other aspects of the sport, especially when dealing with canopy control. I am a beginner compared to most on this site but feel like i can help fill a void if I had video i can edit and add instructional comentary too slow down and show step by step......I would like a few people to donate their skydiving video libary to the free (open source...for lack a better word) project (probably will have you upload video via ftp server i will setup for the project).....end state will be 40-50 videos explaining various aspects of the sport hosted on a free site for everyone to use free of charge (might stick with youtube as my video server embedding youtube objects into a seperate site.....please let me know if you would like to donate your video or help develop content, again this is a free project to make the community better and help make the sport more accessable for beginers

thanks
K.G.P.

help them through aff

If you want to make an instructional video or video collection, make sure you have that instruction ability yourself, first. Even then, for AFF every DZ has its own way of teaching and doing things, a video showing "what's right" is likely only right for that particular DZ and at that particular time, and might confuse other students. Also a first jump student gets told way less than someone with 50 jumps or 100 jumps or more.

The ONLY ones who can help you through AFF are your own instructors. The information you receive is tailored to your experience, this is really important for your first 2 dozen jumps or so. Later on (say, after your A) you can use other resources to your hearts desire, but even then, running stuff by your instructors is the smart thing to do.

Skydiving is not a sport you can learn just by watching video. Especially beginners should stay well away from "instructional videos" unless accompanied by commentary from their instructor. Trying to learn via YouTube has the potential to make you a distracted or even quite annoying student at the least (yeah but this guy on YouTube did THIS) and may prove dangerous at worst (conflicting information or simply too much information - overload).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

"if i had video i can edit :|... AND add instructional commentary
to slow down, and show step by step."

sounds ok, in theory... but in reality just WHo will DO the commentary??...It can't be you...i don't think...
unless you're rated AND experienced...or working from a script which is Composed by rated and experienced instructors...

as for your perceived Dire NEED for such a thing....

That might just be, a byproduct of our current worldwide "obsession with video cameras,, and their recordings"... We are OVER saturated....:|
You mention, the word Free a few times....
Free = No cost
No cost = of low value
Low value = worthless...
and yet you so seriously DESIRE such footage...
.. and so you hope to take such footage and "spin it into gold" with editing and dialogue..... I admire your intentions... and such an item COULD be useful to those who wanna "learn to skydive, while sitting in front of a TV"...
Better to learn it AT the DZ, in REAL time, with real instructors... and LIVE practice..
THAT approach has worked for decades and decades...
and believe it or not !!!:S[:/]B|;) there once WAS a time where video was NOT part of this sport...the way it has become in the past 10 or 20 years.... Perhaps if NOT for tandem... the aerial videographer would be a seldom seen participant of the sport..
I know it sounds silly.. but there WAS a time when newbies read BOOKs... about skydiving,, in order to reinforce and emphasize most of the aspects of the art of skydiving..
I bet 90 % of people here,, never even HEARD... of ' The Gunby Book"...It was called Sport Parachuting.. by R A Gunby. Or the Skydiving Manual by Poynter. Or The Art of FreeFall Relative Work by Pat Works...

they certainly All worked very well... ...and still would.....
except that time has continued to March ahead... and i guess inevitably , some seem to feel there is a need for a Video ,,, to fix something that isn't broken....:|

Good luck with you efforts.. keep us posted.
jmy
A 3914
D 12122
4 stack 930

Skydiving is not a sport you can learn just by watching video. Especially beginners should stay well away from "instructional videos" unless accompanied by commentary from their instructor. Trying to learn via YouTube has the potential to make you a distracted or even quite annoying student at the least (yeah but this guy on YouTube did THIS) and may prove dangerous at worst (conflicting information or simply too much information - overload).

I've turned away a couple students in the past coupla years, one just last week, because he already knew everything there was to know about wingsuiting before he'd ever put one on. He's chatted with Matt G and Dean P, he's met Jeb Corliss and Luigi in person, he knew which suit he wanted to wear for an FFC and which suits he wouldn't wear. He'd seen everything on YouTube, Vimeo, and other websites. He knew it ALL.
Thanks to online video.
Sometimes online video is more a hassle for an instructor than anything else. It's hard to teach someone who thinks what they saw on YouTube was the "right way" vs what the instructor believes is best for them.

I've turned away a couple students in the past coupla years, one just last week, because he already knew everything there was to know about wingsuiting before he'd ever put one on. He's chatted with Matt G and Dean P, he's met Jeb Corliss and Luigi in person, he knew which suit he wanted to wear for an FFC and which suits he wouldn't wear. He'd seen everything on YouTube, Vimeo, and other websites. He knew it ALL.
Thanks to online video.
Sometimes online video is more a hassle for an instructor than anything else. It's hard to teach someone who thinks what they saw on YouTube was the "right way" vs what the instructor believes is best for them.

Damned good Point..

I remember the rush of students to DZ's after Point break...:S

Long discussion, I'm not getting into it for I am a newbie in this sport.

But I did wanted to thank you for the links, I've been looking for DVDs specially on things going wrong with the explanation of why and what to do.

B| Cheers,

Andres

Vivre libre ou mourir.