KevinMcguire89

Shenanigans ? Packing/packers issue

There is nothing wrong with using ROUND canopies for reserves with static-line training. If you think back to your first jump, how much did you actually know about the equipment and different malfunctions.

Except consider this! ALL their hire kit (post qualification) AND AFF rigs had round reserves on ithem, except even trickier they advertised that they were all square rigs.

I saw a chop a few weeks ago on a hire rig I once used, I was pretty surprised that there was a big white round in the sky.

The advantages of a freebag, and the steering and control a square reserve gives, plus the reduced training necessary, far outweigh anything a round reserve offers.

The "roundie is OK for SL jumps" is an argument made by cheapskate DZO's.

The excuse they used was that in a panic situation when you need to chop, there is a lot less to think about therefore a round in their eyes was better..... everybody else suspected it was them being cheapskate.:ph34r:

The excuse they used was that in a panic situation when you need to chop, there is a lot less to think about therefore a round in their eyes was better..... everybody else suspected it was them being cheapskate.Sly

What a crock.

Cheapskates, end of story.

A chop situation is NOT a panic situation. Very worst thing to be doing. After the event you would have plenty more to think about with a round reserve.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

>There is nothing wrong with using ROUND canopies for reserves with static-line training.

It is just as stupid to use a round for SL training as it is for AFF training.

1) Rounds land you hard, and are very likely to injure you from the impact alone.

2) They are not very steerable, and thus DZ's with hazards within a few miles of the landing area will result in a more hazardous landing under a round.

3) They have to be flown differently than squares, so there is more to cover in the FJC (and it's information that will be useless after your student progression.)

4) Since round reserves generally do not use freebags or free sleeves, the risk of a reserve horseshoe is higher with a round.

1) Rounds land you hard, and are very likely to injure you from the impact alone.

The guy who chopped I think twisted his ankle

2) They are not very steerable, and thus DZ's with hazards within a few miles of the landing area will result in a more hazardous landing under a round.

Man this sounds worse and worse the more you say because the DZ was chock full of hazards. -

Hedges around the PLA (field was 450metres per side)

A massive drainage ditch that ran on both the north and southernside of the PLA.

A couple of roads.

A motorway.

A small wind turbine.

The SEA about 1.5 miles away..... which was near some swampy beaches (I've been dropped out over the sands before)

Powerlines (not small ones big ones like this
http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/01/04/power-lines-cross-10272.jpg)

Big copses of trees.

A canal and a trailer/caravan park.

3) They have to be flown differently than squares, so there is more to cover in the FJC (and it's information that will be useless after your student progression.)

Was never told how to fly a round tbh, but then again we were never told the reserves were round..... I'm glad I went elsewhere tbh!

The guy who chopped I think twisted his ankle

Man this sounds worse and worse the more you say because the DZ was chock full of hazards. -

Hedges around the PLA (field was 450metres per side)

A massive drainage ditch that ran on both the north and southernside of the PLA.

A couple of roads.

A motorway.

A small wind turbine.

The SEA about 1.5 miles away..... which was near some swampy beaches (I've been dropped out over the sands before)

Powerlines (not small ones big ones like this
http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/images/pictures/01/04/power-lines-cross-10272.jpg)

Big copses of trees.

A canal and a trailer/caravan park.

Was never told how to fly a round tbh, but then again we were never told the reserves were round..... I'm glad I went elsewhere tbh!

You don't really "fly" a round reserve. You are mostly a passenger, at the mercy of the wind, and a good spot by the JM....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I've never seen anybody stick their head out and have a look.

That's a problem.
1. Sometimes GPS is wrong. It's a mechanism, and mechanisms sometimes malfunction. Or maybe someone makes a mistake while using it, and/or the pilot mistakenly turns on the green light at the wrong time.
2. Even if the spot is right-on, there might be other aircraft nearby. Failure to scan for aircraft before first exit on a pass is more than just lazy, it's negligent.

I've never seen anybody stick their head out and have a look.

That's a problem.
1. Sometimes GPS is wrong. It's a mechanism, and mechanisms sometimes malfunction. Or maybe someone makes a mistake while using it, and/or the pilot mistakenly turns on the green light at the wrong time.
sometimes a country which holds control on GPS's goes to war and offsets GPS data for non-military users [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

As said I stick my head out and have a look always, about 8 weeks ago I went to the DZ in question and the regular jumping guys (its a tandem factory so there are only about 12 regulars).

A plane flew under the run in and people in FF missed it by a couple 100ft, one person quit.... but then again they were jumping in erm '100% industrial haze'