Skydive2

Leasing a non-US registered aircraft

Depends on which country.

If is Canadian registered its not to much of an issue.

If its another country you may have a problem.

All the US Airworthiness Directives must be complied with and if there are any mods to the aircraft (i.e. foreign STCs) the FAA must accept this as legal in the states.

The reason I said Canadian would be easier is because the FAA (thanks to NAFTA) will accept Canadian STCs, 337s more readly.

Do a thorough research of the aircraft you're looking at.

Depends on which country.

If is Canadian registered its not to much of an issue.

All the US Airworthiness Directives must be complied with and if there are any mods to the aircraft (i.e. foreign STCs) the FAA must accept this as legal in the states.

The reason I said Canadian would be easier is because the FAA (thanks to NAFTA) will accept Canadian STCs, 337s more readly.

Do a thorough research of the aircraft you're looking at.

"

While the North American Free Trade Agreement might "theoretically" allow you to lease a Canadian-registered airplane, it really depends upon how well you get along with your local FAA FSDO.
If they don't like you - or the airplane you want to lease - they might refuse, or - more subtly - never get around to processing your paperwork ...

Start by short-listing - the airplanes you want to lease- then go chat with your local FSDO, US Customs, etc. before paying a dime!

P.S. Transport Canada does not have anything resembling an FAA 337 for field modifications. Instead, TC will insist on a full-blown Supplementary Type Certificate (signed off by a TC Designated Engineer) for an after-market: in flight doors, static-line anchors, jump-steps, external rails, signal lights, seat-belts, etc.
Note: Transport Canada specifically excludes Jack Hooker's skydiver-specific seat-belts.

Hi Rob;

I've found out that it is much easier to bring an aircraft into the states then it is to bring one from the states to Canada.
The FAA is more willing to "Grandfather" in mods and such for an aircraft from Canada then TC is to recipricate.
Case in point: We sold a Turbine Otter to a Canadian individual. It had installed the Capstone ADSB STC w/ Chelton Synthetic Visual 2 screen EFIS.
The STC was developed BY the FAA, for the FAA, using FAA DERs.
Transport would not approve it until they had revued the data and conducted their own evaluation.

Anyway, getting back to the original post, I've PMd with them and their looking at one from Europe.