jhh166

Skydiving Expo 2012

I have never been to a skydiving expo but have been doing some reading on the websites and have a few questions.

Will the booths have a lot of gear on hand or will they just have demos and if you buy, it will be manufactured and mailed to you?

Long story short - Can I go down there and leave with a complete rig in hand?

Any info on how the expo works would be cool. I was thinking why spend money on airfare and lodging to have it mailed back home. when I could have done that on the internet and saved the travel money?

I've been to several PIA expos, and none of them had gear for sale there. You might be able to strike a deal with PD to buy a "demo" reserve at the end of the show (I've seen things like that done a few times) but for the most part it's a trade show rather than a store.

Boogies, rather than "expo's" usually have gear-sales reps and gear, both demo and for sale, on-hand available on-site. For instance John - Art Sherry of the Skydive Store (PA), will be at the combined West Point/Delmarva Halloween boogie 10/28-10/30.

Knowing this, if you contact him in advance he will actually bring items with him you express an interest in so you can demo them, then - if appropriate and agreed, "cash-n-carry" from the event.

Other larger dropzones with full-time, on-site gear-stores can/will do the same. Perris Valley for instance, with Square-One. Cross-Keys, Eloy, Elsinore, Deland etc. all have "full service" gear stores on-site, so planning a trip accordingly, if this is the way you would like to proceed, can accomodate the dual-purpose of traveling to one of them, jumping the location, demo'ing gear you are shopping for, and then - potentially purchasing on-the-spot if you so choose as well.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The Skydive Expo is scheduled for April 3 - 8, 2012 in Deland, Florida. Here is the official link: http://skydiveexpo.com/

Lara and Kolla put on a great event, with great vendors, speakers, prize giveaways, Load Organizers at Skydive Deland, all around good time!

As for the original question about purchasing a complete rig via Manufacturers at the Expo. There is a potential, but in reality the Manufacturers showcase their products and do not carry much inventory at all at their booth. You can try on multiple container types, to see what fits you the best and comes with the latest options you desire. Speak with the Main Canopy vendors and explain your Flying Style, etc and if weather allows and if the vendor has demo's available to jump, you can try them out at Skydive Deland based on their recommended size and model.

The Expo is like sitting around the campfire with the all the manufacturer representatives at once, ask the questions, see the product, try the product, buy the product!

Hope this helps and I will see you at the Expo.

-Bryan Cavage
Bryan Cavage, D-19100
AFF I, Tandem I, Vidiot
http://www.dropzonesolutions.com
-Social Media Consultant and Skydiving Gear Guru