firstime

pilots license

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/default.asp

Licenses, restrictions and date of last medical. Currency a function of logs and not available.

That's cool. I looked up my dad's ratings in there. It doesn't necessarily mean their ratings are current though, since my dad suffered a major shoulder injury and hasn't regained enough range of motion to pass a physical. There's nothing to that effect in his query though.

Look for the date of his last medical. Depending on what type license he has it is good for up to 2 years from date of issue.

For a young private pilot (less than 40 years old) a class three medical is good for three years. For a commercial pilot (jump pilots) a medical certificate is only good for one year.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Look for the date of his last medical. Depending on what type license he has it is good for up to 2 years from date of issue.

For a young private pilot (less than 40 years old) a class three medical is good for three years. For a commercial pilot (jump pilots) a medical certificate is only good for one year.

Ah. His last medical was 01/2004, and he has:

AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT
AIRPLANE MULTIENGINE LAND
COMMERCIAL PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Type Ratings
A/A-320 A/B-737 A/CE-500

Ok, story time. Back in the early 60’s my dad took me for my first airplane ride I was an amazing experience I’ll never forget. He died just a year later when I was eight.

Spin forward. I turned into a somewhat reckless young adult, messing with BASE jumping, crazy low parachute openings, and other stuff that was frowned on by the establishment.

Eventually I settled down and earned my commercial pilot’s license in my 30’s, and was wondering if my dad had had a private or commercial, and how old he was when he got is first pilot license, so I checked the FAA database.

There was no record of my dad ever being issued a pilot license. The FAA checked back in their paper records too, but still no listing. The clerk explained that in the deep past pilots would sometimes skirt the law and fly for years without a license. I guess that’s what my dad did, and perhaps he is where I got that reckless streak from.

I also remember jumping from a Cessna in upstate NY, and I learned the pilot was not licensed. He was about a million years old, but just never bothered to get a license. He was also somewhat forgetful, and frequently we needed to nudge him as a reminder to keep climbing. Kinda crazy. I wouldn’t tolerate it today, but back then regulations and safety weren’t nearly as important.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Did he have a recent medical? 1945 is pre-FAA... I know they haven't entered records that far back for pilots that haven't flown since that far back.

Dave

Nope.

DAVID C DONNELLY
Address
Address is not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medical
No Medical Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CertIficates
1 of 1

DOI : 08/24/1945
CertIficate: PRIVATE PILOT

Rating(s):

PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

The clerk explained that in the deep past pilots would sometimes skirt the law and fly for years without a license.

Yeah, I remember seeing the some old farmers that would fly crop dusters near my grandfather's farm, and I wonder if they ever bothered getting their license.

Weird. My dad flew in the 60s (and not since). Years ago he found his pilots license in an old wallet he hadn't used since then. It says Federal Aviation Agency on it...looks fake. Course that's what the FAA was called for a while after it switched from CAA.

No record of him in the FAA database.

I got my private in 1997 but I'm listed as having gotten it in 2004 because that's when I requested one of the new style licenses. It's a weird system.

Dave

Weird. My dad flew in the 60s (and not since). Years ago he found his pilots license in an old wallet he hadn't used since then. It says Federal Aviation Agency on it...looks fake. Course that's what the FAA was called for a while after it switched from CAA.

No record of him in the FAA database.

I got my private in 1997 but I'm listed as having gotten it in 2004 because that's when I requested one of the new style licenses. It's a weird system.

Dave

yes, the date seems to be the date of the most recently issued piece of paper. Mine shows for my glider rating, not for the ASEL

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.