3mpire

Yves Rossy flies jetwing over rio

right but if you look at the video it appear he has a spring loaded pilot chute that was released but wasn't pulling the dbag out and then he did something with his other hand and it released, so I don't know if it is a two stage deployment where first you get the spring loaded pc out and THEN you deploy or if it is always like that?

Yes. To make it short, the spring kicks the PC out, but the bridle is still locked on the bag, then it is later released with a second handle. A little bit like a tandem drogue chute. The speed and the mass are pretty large. This system allows for lower speed deployment
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yves on David Letterman's Late Show
http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/the_wahoo_gazette/

Friday, May, 04 2012
Show #3668
Anderson Cooper, Yves Rossy and Electric Guest
ACT 4:
YVES ROSSY
He's a pilot, an inventor, and the pilot of his invention, the jet-powered fixed wing flying machine. He's nicknamed "Jetman." Yves joined the Swiss Air Force and became a fighter pilot and eventually left the military to become a pilot of Swiss International Air. He's always loved flying, and flying on his own has always been a dream. He's been developing his "wings" over the past 15 years with a lot of trial and error. I don't mind the trial part; it's the error part that scares me. I'd imagine you can't make too many errors when it comes to flying, preferably less than one. We watch a clip of Yves' most recent jet-powered wing creation. I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by Buzz Lightyear. Why did Yves decide to go with jet-power and not propeller? Yves says, "I don't want to become a salami." The flying wings look like a lot of fun, but I can't imagine trying it out for the very first time. I always think of that with great inventions or ideas. Take the parachute . . . I mean, somebody had to be first! Or the first circumcision. It might not seem like a big deal now, but looking for volunteers at the beginning must have required one heck of a selling job.

After it was over, I couldn't help but wish Dave still had that red button on his chair from the other day. I think that would have impressed Yves.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM