JohnRich

That "droppy" feeling

A phrased or idiom mapped directly back onto itself provides little literary or linguistic value, and ceases to carry forward the sort of meaning, function and purpose of translation and/or reduction of consciousness as it may have originally been intended.

It is what it is.

I confir and add "the mass of the ass x the angle of the dangle = the heat of the meat :P
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Yes it's correct.... it's exactly why you get that sense of falling when going off of a balloon or helecopter, but not from a plane.

Or is that because you just jump balloons and helicopters so infrequently, that you haven't gotten used to it there yet, like you have for airplanes?

Or maybe it's a matter of human perception. You feel like you're dropping more when exiting from a balloon because there's no windspeed to fool your senses into believing that you're already going real fast downward?

It is exactly correct, the forward acceleration is such that as you step off and begin to accelerate down, you decelerate forward movement, so there is not much acceleration involved, simply speeding up 25 - 30% over the next 12 seconds.

Stepping off a bridge, on the other hand.... you do get that droppy feeling. Or a hovering helicopter, balloon etc.

What made it real noteworthy to me was one year jumping off the new river gorge bridge from the roof of the motorhome going about 45-55 mph. No droppy feeling! Even though the previous days jumps there, from standing (days before the diving board) you had felt it.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone