rss_v

Experience level for heli jumps

I started my AFF jumping of Mi-8 (turboprop multi-purpose 10-seat heli). No special skill required. Alt up to 4000m (13000 ft), exit at ground speed about 90 km/h (56 mph). Same price for me... nothing so special.

Those MI-8's are the best! They carry as many or more than a twin otter, have a nice tailgate and, well, they're helos. Vskydiver and I jumped those down in Acapulco years ago. I'm jealous of anyone who jumps them all the time.

Most helo specialty jumps are out of smaller helos. Cramped seating, new sets of snag hazards, and that tricky, slicky skid to climb out onto. I've even seen video of a woman jumper getting her chest strap caught on the skid. Such a jump calls for a little more ability and awareness than just flopping out of a Caravan door. :)

I'm pretty sure Cyndi (iluvtofly) got hung up on the skid exiting in the last year or two.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Last year a woman was badly injured on an R44 when the skid lifted after the other side exited and a hard point caught her arm. The typical "boogie heli" is a smaller aircraft, and you'll want some experience, particularly if it's to be your first heli exit.

I'll be contacting the DZ directly soon, when I get a chance, but in a few weeks there are some heli jumps being offered at a DZ I could get to. They're about twice the cost of a normal jump ticket but could be worth trying. I'm wondering if there are any usual experience requirements, i.e jump numbers, for taking part in heli jumps?

Thanks

I did my aff from an as350 and we jumped @12500. The difference from planes and heli for me was stability on exit. It took a bit more work from the the heli. ;)