mchamp

JPL/NASA Supersonic Parachute

Why a ring slider?

It would probably have eliminated the ossilations in drag. It would have lowered the peak opening forces allowing them to use lighter lines risers and ancker points. They could have remover their anti inversion net. And I think it would have led to a lighter over all system. Mass is a big deal. I just don't think they had any expereance or data on ring sliders. Personally I like them. I've had good luck with slider reefed rounds on smaller projects.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Maybe they needed a quick openning?
A slammer?
I'm sure these guys knew what they were doing.
But how cool would it have been if it were a huge square cannopy and the utilized it's glide slope to better set up the landing?

But that would be too difficult?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Amazing to look off in the distance to look at the Sun and think that somewhere out there is Earth.

Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4boyXQuUIw

The delivery of the rover after the parachute separation would make a great AAD. That's amazing, if something like that "hovercraft" and disklike shaped landed on Earth I'd buy a Mirage :P