kirrz

AFF 1 - How to calm nerves?

I can't come down any more weekends but I will be hanging around the DZ some mornings for the next 2 weeks - come say hello if you are there too!

Else, I will definetely take it up seriously when I get back in March and then I'll definetely be at the bar! :)

I did my AFF 1 about 6 weeks ago. My friend who did his AFF a few weeks earlier kept telling me. Oh your heart is going to be pounding out of your chest. I was a little nervous before the jump, but I kept going over the jump sequence in my head, over and over. I also trusted my jumpmasters to do the right thing, and had confidence with the training and practice on the ground. When I was up in the air at 15,000 feet holding on to the King Air door, I just went through the jump sequence. I did everything too fast though because I thought I might run out of time to do the sequence but all went well. I don't think I saw much past 20 inches beyond my face because of the sensory overload though. My second jump went much smoother. I now knew what to expect and was much more relaxed. On my third AFF jump they let go of me and I flew very well on heading. A little tilt of my head to look at the altimeter and I started a slight turn to the left but was able to stop the rotation. This Friday I will do my AFF 4 and I am looking forward to it. Also on my thrid AFF I jumped out of the Cessna. I was a little nervous about that exit from my AFF 1 training mostly because I would be looking down as I moved onto that LITTLE step while holding on to the strut. But on my jump I realized the airspeed is lower than on the King Air so it is actually an easier exit.

Best thing to do is try to really relax into your arch and remember your legs as well On my AFF 1 my legs were as stiff as a board. I forgot all about them. Things just get better and better with each jump.

Good luck to you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Glenn

I was so scared on my AFF1 the instructors had to pull me out of the skyvan and then pull for me. I kept being really nervous until i began trusting my training and still a bit after that. New things still make me nervous. I breath and think about the dive.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

I did it!! I had my AFF1 jump and man it was fun but dramatic!

Turns out I kicked a bit upon exit (which seems to be my reflex) but everything went well. One of the JMs had to deploy for me because I was reaching too low when it was time to pull.. probably a good thing because I would have forgotten to hold onto the ripcord.

Then, I found the target and flew towards it... the arrow didn't change direction.. I had passed the DZ then I had a feeling something wasn't right when the arrow was still pointing ahead.. I was waiting for radio instructions or someone to guide me but there was nothing so I found myself in a paddock, took a chance, flared, did a PLR and it was all fine.

Turns out one of the tandems had the same colour parachute and the TA radio-ed "If you can hear me kick your legs" (all I heard was "can you hear me?"). At that very same time, the tandem passenger kicked so he thought that was me.

I survived! It was a blast! And I will never be afraid of a parachute again!

***p.s. it's not the parachutes you need to be afraid of, it's the ground

Or the steps of the Cessnas:D:D

Seriously, great job on the jump and best of luck with your new way of life as a skydiver!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Step 1: To calm nerves smoke a big bag of weed before jumping. (kidding):P

My first, second and third jumps I really had a hard time relaxing but I can tell you that the more jumps you get the more relaxed you are in the air. Stick with it and be safe!!!!;)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!