stringtheorygal

Instructional Tandem? Advice needed!

Newbie here from Fort Lauderdale- so pleased to have found this forum.

I'm planning on doing a tandem in a couple of weeks and am looking for more learning and less "carnival ride" so to speak.

I have a few options fairly close by but am leaning towards Sebastian. My question is...if I request an "instructional tandem", will that make sense? Is that something fairly customary?

Is there a better DZ for this kind of jump? If Sebastian is a good choice, can anyone recommend a TI?

I guess I suspect many tandems are of the one-time, bucket-list variety. I have a sneaking suspicion I'll probably want to go further in the sport and
would like to find a way to get more out of my experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sit in a full ground school. Have a dive flow with thr instructor. Hopefully pull, and ask for instructions on canopy flight.

I would be thrilled to have more students that want that level of involvement!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just tell the tandem guy you're interested in doing more than just one tandem, as in you want to learn how to skydive. He/she should be able to do a few extra things with you. Altimeter, canopy, ect.. If you really want to learn how to jump sign up for a first jump course after your jump.

Unless I have a really uptight passenger, I always show them how to check canopy after opening, let them steer, show them the wind sock and the student landing area and talk about facing into the wind for landing. I explain about how solo students have a radio on the chest strap and we give them guidance from the ground. I tell them that the tandem counts as their first student jump and if they like it they should try the AFF class.

So that's some of the stuff the instructor could do with you on your first tandem.

Thank you all so much for the insight.

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to get an instructional-type tandem. Great news.

I understand weekends are busy at DZs; I was a bit concerned my request could be considered an inconvenience since most tandems are "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" (right?) :)

I'll be sure to let them know I'm interested in AFF.

And in the meantime will try to keep busy because it's all I can think about. Not sure how I can be *this* excited about something I've never experienced. Wild!

Unless I have a really uptight passenger, I always show them how to check canopy after opening, let them steer, show them the wind sock and the student landing area and talk about facing into the wind for landing. I explain about how solo students have a radio on the chest strap and we give them guidance from the ground. I tell them that the tandem counts as their first student jump and if they like it they should try the AFF class.

So that's some of the stuff the instructor could do with you on your first tandem.

I'm at a point where I need to redo my ground video. It just occurred to me that I can also put in a little bit about solo training, and advise in that video so everyone sees it that if they're interested to please ask for more of an instructional experience.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Wellll....I hesitate to update but I guess it could help somebody?

First let me say that my overall experience was wonderful- my TM got me on the ground safely and for that I am extremely grateful. It was a beautiful ride and I've scheduled my first AFF jump for later this week. So clearly, it was enough to convince me that yes, this is as awesome as I thought it might be.

That being said, even though I inquired on the phone with manifest and in person with my TM before my jump, I didn't get the "instructional tandem" I was hoping for. I was calm, happy and eager to learn (would've been a good student!) but it just didn't happen. I would have loved to have had a bit of an introduction to...well, anything- specifically canopy control. Looking back I probably should've asked a lot of questions but felt odd doing so. I guess I wanted to keep the person responsible for saving my life as happy as possible- and I didn't want to distract him from getting us back on the ground in one piece.

I was given brief instruction about arching, harness was on, told to put my legs up under the aircraft when we were at the door ready to exit, "look up, it makes a better video" and...that was about it. (JohnMitchell- I didn't get anything you described in your post.) It was early Sunday- a few tandems and some team training going on- perhaps they were too busy. Honestly, everything felt a little rushed. I tried to savor every minute of it!

All of the prior reading I had done was super helpful, I will say. I felt the "trap door effect" (wasn't frightening because I knew what was going on), knew about when TM was going to pull so I could be ready for the "jolt" (it was so much softer than I expected!), etc.

So, I guess I would advise others that want more than just a "ride" to get a more solid confirmation (?) that an instructional-type tandem is available. I would've been happy to come back on a week day if things were too busy on the weekends.

Bottom line- training tandem or not, I didn't need too much convincing to pursue the sport. I haven't stopped smiling since. :D;)