EOCS

Shoulder awareness

Ive been jumping a pulse and pilot for the last 100 jumps or so and have been doing front riser approaches for at least the last 50. (yes i know this is not much just setting the stage)
The pilot is a little easier then my pulse was on the fronts but they are still pretty heavy. I can hold them down but it does take some effort. After this last weekend i noticed my left shoulder was hurting a little when i lift my arm to a near sit fly position.
I do plan to see the doctor but the appointment isnt for a while. Are there any warning signs that this may be more serious then a strain? what are some things i can do in the mean time to help it recover? rest and not using it much i suppose. And should this just be a strain how can i help to prevent this kind of injury in the future skydiving.

Thanks for any tips/tricks

After this last weekend i noticed my left shoulder was hurting a little when i lift my arm to a near sit fly position.

If it hurts when you do that, don't do that.

Drive on. :P

Actually, I have shoulder issues too, after about 4 months of physical therapy (twice a week), I'm getting better... but I think that tandems were a big part of it and any freefall is probably going to stress them.

Talk to a physical therapist and see what they think. Could just be sore muscles, could be worse.

Quit doing the riser approaches and see if it gets better (until your apt)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I fly a very tucked mantis position always now because of shoulder issues in classic boxman position. If I want to slow down I get creative with the rest of my body (kinda hard to explain I just will to slow down and my body does something to slow me down).

Front risering can inflame shoulders also so I feel where you are coming from.

I have been doing daily rotator cuff exercises for years now and that is the only thing that keeps my shoulders together after years of abuse lifting weights and climbing hard sport climbs (5.13+).

I have(had) the same shoulder problem . Lifting my arms above my head realy caused aches.4 jumps and I was finished for the day . Thought at first it was overdoing the weights and training . Got to expect a few aches and pains at my age right :(
Do not wait to long before getting help. I thought it would go away by itself , I ended up with two inflamed shoulders which is taking its time to heal.
I am going to warm up better and try a bit of yoga,streching to lossen up museles and joints at the start of the skydiving day

I constantly deal with shoulder injuries through my active lifestyle. I feel your pain, it's certainly not fun.

However, the worst thing you can do is "not use it."

You must perform some physical therapy (either on yourself, or with a physical therapist)

If you just "let it heal on its own" it will heal up stiff, and weak, and be more prone to re-injury. Stretch it several times a day (you can google particularly good stretches/workouts for your shoulder that will help you).

Also, because blood flow to the shoulders is significantly less than other parts of the body, healing takes more time. Just remember to work it out, then ice it after a workout. It heals slowly, but slow and strong, is better than quick and weak.

Cheers.

I constantly deal with shoulder injuries through my active lifestyle. I feel your pain, it's certainly not fun.

However, the worst thing you can do is "not use it."

You must perform some physical therapy (either on yourself, or with a physical therapist)

If you just "let it heal on its own" it will heal up stiff, and weak, and be more prone to re-injury. Stretch it several times a day (you can google particularly good stretches/workouts for your shoulder that will help you).

Also, because blood flow to the shoulders is significantly less than other parts of the body, healing takes more time. Just remember to work it out, then ice it after a workout. It heals slowly, but slow and strong, is better than quick and weak.

Cheers.

This was extremely helpful. Thank you.

ALSO...

Here is a link to a great group of exercises for your rotatorcuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRYmTEN_ZA8&list=PL46EDB048407A953E&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Hope that helps!
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc