BlenderPilot

Hard Opening NEW SPECTRE

I've got 50-60 jumps on a spectre 150 and it does tend to open brisker than the triathlons I normally jump. That being said, I had a crazy fast opening today on a triathlon 120. This triathlon was just recently relined with Dacron lines, and normally takes 1000 plus feet to open. It opens beautiful. Today, I threw out, sat up, and was instantly open. This was with double-stowed Dacron lines like I always jump. I wish I could blame my packer but it was me :). No clue what caused it, but rogue hard openings do happen. I was just thankful that I got sat up first because my neck ( and camera helmet) were in line with my spine and so I didn't get any kind of whiplash. That's why you will never see me watching my canopy on opening.

I do watch my canopy on opening because once I'm upright, the snivelling is fun to watch and any wack job is going to be pretty much immediate.

About your comment on rogue hard openings; they do indeed seem to happen for a number of reasons on a variety of canopies.

I also think there is a mystery behind the spectres reputation for the occasional slam, one that PD hasn't quite figured out yet.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I've been thinking of semi-retiring my Pilot and getting a Spectre (although larger than a 150) because my spine is roughly as old as you are

Don't be afraid. I've had a Spectre whack me bad enough to break lines. But that was a long time ago, a rushed packer and that canopy had microlines. Go with Dacron lines and you will be in looooooovvvvveeee.

check the PD chart after checking the published wing loading the op has given...

Wing loading is for landing info not openings. You will find this hard to believe but: if you double the wing load you will only increase the opening force by 10%.
This guy has a line dump problem.
If a canopy opens soft once all one needs to do is control the variables and it will open soft every time.

;)

I was just refrencing sarcasim again,...
the PD chart starts off with:
"Student, Novice, Int., Adv., Exp., MAX"

This here is a case of an individual using a canopy, who is by --- declaring his wing loading--- that he is not just a bigginner, not just an advanced or expert canopy pilot, BUT HE IS OFF THE CHART GOOD, this kid is soo hot of a canopy pilot he has decided to use a combination of his own choosing that is off the chart so to speak, this expert however can also post utube vids of someone just clearing a BARBED WIRE FENCE BY LIFTING HIS FEET AND THEN ROLLING/ CRASHING ON A ROAD...(the comment then was and this is a direct quote from another post>>>>

"How do I extend the glide of my Spectre??????????"

On the utube site, in spanish, someone also makes refrences that they "really came close to 'objects' in their helecopter,..." O'h boy they can also hit shit with a rented helo???

And now our expeert shows up here with thousands of jumps??? and asks the simplist of questions that with a wing loading of 1.57 he dosen't know and is covered ad nasuatum elswhere....?

And the response is.....wait hold your breath,......

More than a few individuals start bashing a canopy that they know little about????

This is my advice...YOU ASKED "BLENDERPILOT" AND HERE IS MY ANSWERE IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION:

retake an aff class, you need (basic) help...
Learn how to fly a landing pattern...
Upsize immediatly to something in the novice category...
Give up helecopters as well, untill you grow up...
Ditch the fucking go pro...
stop showing us how stupid yo are, ie ask for help rather than what yuo are doing...
take some packing lessons, with different instructors....
Stop bashing PD by making the suggestion of/by some unknown person suggests changing the slider size...
read the PD hard opening paper...
A more esteemed gentleman has already answered your question about inspections of equipment....my only contribution is it's more than a little scaareey that you asked...

I only point out the last one about equipment because in your original post you clearly indicate you have been "advised," and instead of following that advice, you yet again ask for some unknown persons, advice, that being us here on the internet???, I suppose it's a good thing your getting lots of advice but I think you need advice on whos's advice you should be following, ??? Is there anyone out there who can give advice on following advice???

Yes I completly agree that the slider should be changed, something to about the size of a 200 or 220 cubic inch navigatior, untill your landing pattern skills, judgment, and common sense can be repeatedly and reliably demonstrated, untill then take your jumping elswhere, or put up with my suggestions, suck it up , learn something, and we can start over...

or your free to just go to another dz????
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Balls. I've been thinking of semi-retiring my Pilot and getting a Spectre (although larger than a 150) because my spine is roughly as old as you are. I'm reading this thread with considerable interest.

If you want soft openings... get a firebolt. softest openings I've ever experienced - and one of the main reasons I purchased it.
Woot Woot!

I do watch my canopy on opening because once I'm upright, the snivelling is fun to watch and any wack job is going to be pretty much immediate.

Don't you believe it. Watching a snivelling Sabre2 before it decided to spank me put me in a neck brace for 3 months. Watch the horizon until it's finished being funky.

check the PD chart after checking the published wing loading the op has given...

Wing loading is for landing info not openings. You will find this hard to believe but: if you double the wing load you will only increase the opening force by 10%.
This guy has a line dump problem.
If a canopy opens soft once all one needs to do is control the variables and it will open soft every time.

I seriously doubt line dump is the culprit. If the canopy opens nice some times, control the slider by proper canopy management so it doesn't let the slider pa t way down allowing air past it to cause rapid expansion of the bottom skin.

Unless that bag is being stripped off the parachute right out of the container, which is unlikely, it will not effect the opening in a normal deployment.

Keep the bag shut till line stretch. Done. The rest is either canopy design or material management during packing.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto