NuMRX

Regaining control

I am really wanting to get into skydiving but I have a few things that bother me when I go on my first solo. I am probably going tandem on my birthday but I'm even more interested in going solo soon after.

My biggest fear is losing control when skydiving without instructors holding onto me later down the road on my later AFF jumps. How easy is it to regain control when flying my body? How do you regain control to be in the correct face down position? I'm assuming that you can't just pull if you start tumbling because I could get caught in the the lines, etc. All I know is that having a relaxed and limp body position really helps to regain control, but that probably isn't the only thing you have to do to regain control.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks guys

Relax. It's like riding a bike. Once you learn how to do it, it's easy.B|

And if you DO spaz out, just open your parachute. ;)

Take a deep breath. You're worrying about everything WAAAAAY too early. ;):D

But couldn't you get caught in your lines or another part of the parachute assembly?

But couldn't you get caught in your lines or another part of the parachute assembly?

Yes, but not usually. When it's time to pull, you gotta pull, no ifs ands or buts about it.

What I mean is that stability is not that hard to achieve, your instructors won't put you out on your own until you're ready, and you're getting all worked up about it before you've even started jumping.

The root of most fears is ignorance. Take the class, learn to skydive and see if the unknown worries you as much as it did before. Our sport is simple.

-arch
-watch your altitude
-open the parachute
-make a safe landing

Don't worry so much. ;)B|

Yes, but not usually. When it's time to pull, you gotta pull, no ifs ands or buts about it.

What I mean is that stability is not that hard to achieve, your instructors won't put you out on your own until you're ready, and you're getting all worked up about it before you've even started jumping.

The root of most fears is ignorance. Take the class, learn to skydive and see if the unknown worries you as much as it did before. Our sport is simple.

-arch
-watch your altitude
-open the parachute
-make a safe landing

Yeah I'm not really worried just trying to get as much knowledge as I can before I go to ground school. It sure sounds like a simple sport!

I am really wanting to get into skydiving but I have a few things that bother me when I go on my first solo. I am probably going tandem on my birthday but I'm even more interested in going solo soon after.

My biggest fear is losing control when skydiving without instructors holding onto me later down the road on my later AFF jumps. How easy is it to regain control when flying my body? How do you regain control to be in the correct face down position? I'm assuming that you can't just pull if you start tumbling because I could get caught in the the lines, etc. All I know is that having a relaxed and limp body position really helps to regain control, but that probably isn't the only thing you have to do to regain control.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks guys

Get to a wind tunnel and do a couple 15 min sessions. When you do your AFF the fear of spinning out of control won't even be there.

-arch
-watch your altitude
-open the parachute
-make a safe landing

Yeah I'm not really worried just trying to get as much knowledge as I can before I go to ground school. It sure sounds like a simple sport!
yep simple and because it is so simple we have to work really hard at finding new and fun ways to break ourselves. don't be that guy and you'll be fine.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks guys

Get to a wind tunnel and do a couple 15 min sessions. When you do your AFF the fear of spinning out of control won't even be there.

Yeah, I'm very interested in doing some wind tunnel training before my first true solo jump (without instructors holding onto me)

You certainly sound worried...and rightfully so.
I'm sure we ALL were worried when we started out. It's natural.

As John mentioned...fear-unknown go hand-in-hand.
You'll get over it. 99% of us do.

Your question will be answered in your First Jump Course (FJC) by your instructors. They will teach you what to do and how to do it. I'm reluctant to say anything about how to do it because it may conflict with what your instructors tell you. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Follow their instruction, not the internet's advice.

BUT! There IS some valued learning you can get under your belt before the FJC.

Since you didn't fill out your profile, I'm going to give you what is good in the U.S. (and mostly good for the rest of the world).

Start with the United States Parachute Association (USPA).
Download the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM).
Here's the link:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

You'll want to read Chapters 1-3 and Categories A-C in Chapter 4. That's pretty much what will be covered in the FJC. Do try to avoid getting ahead of yourself too far. There's a lot of information in that book and we want you to focus on what you are learning now without having all the other stuff clog your brain.

Also from the USPA, look at their Ground School presentation. You'll be getting a lot of that in FJC, too.

http://www.uspa.org/BecomeaSkydiver/OnlineGroundSchool/tabid/557/Default.aspx

Good luck and Blue Skies!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Your question will be answered in your First Jump Course (FJC) by your instructors. They will teach you what to do and how to do it. I'm reluctant to say anything about how to do it because it may conflict with what your instructors tell you. There is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Follow their instruction, not the internet's advice.

BUT! There IS some valued learning you can get under your belt before the FJC.

Since you didn't fill out your profile, I'm going to give you what is good in the U.S. (and mostly good for the rest of the world).

Start with the United States Parachute Association (USPA).
Download the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM).
Here's the link:

http://www.uspa.org/SIM.aspx

You'll want to read Chapters 1-3 and Categories A-C in Chapter 4. That's pretty much what will be covered in the FJC. Do try to avoid getting ahead of yourself too far. There's a lot of information in that book and we want you to focus on what you are learning now without having all the other stuff clog your brain.

Also from the USPA, look at their Ground School presentation. You'll be getting a lot of that in FJC, too.

http://www.uspa.org/BecomeaSkydiver/OnlineGroundSchool/tabid/557/Default.aspx

Good luck and Blue Skies!

Thanks a bunch!!! Those links are super informational

The feelings in freefall can be a bit strange at first, but listen to the instructors and don't overthink it. I had a few minor issues starting out but once you get used to not being attached to anything you just get it.

If you are able to do some tunnel time it would make you much more comfortable for your first jumps but it's not a must.

Once you do your first couple of jumps you'll find the things that you're having the most difficulty with and can get more specific tips but until then, enjoy!

My biggest fear is losing control when skydiving without instructors holding onto me later down the road on my later AFF jumps. How easy is it to regain control when flying my body?

Maybe this will ease your mind... Think of a badminton birdie. If you hit it in the air, it tumbles once or twice and then, as if magically, falls flat and stable.

If you relax and arch, you become just like the birdie; eventually, you too will fall flat and stable. Some of us, ME, like to think of the tumbling as the “fun part”. Go take a FJC and enjoy! Oh! ... and, welcome to the sport. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Heh heh. As a relatively new jumper, I can tell you they always tell you to relax. And it seems like a rather unreasonable request at the time. I'm about to jump out of an airplane and I'm NOT GOING TO RELAX! But a few jumps in you relax and are all like "Oh... so that's what they're talking about." So just relax!

This also seems to be the secret to not being sore for three days after a tunnel session. If you tense up in there, you make it way more work than it needs to be. Once you realize you don't need to be all stiff in there, it's a lot easier.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Loss of Control is so much better than gaining or regaining it. Just let loose.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

popsjumper

its new its unknown and your mind suprizes you with weird stuff - why im here why im even doing this - its the raptile part of our brain that does it, for me this was hard during the first 1-3 jumps i realy asked myself is this the right thing for me?

but could turn it to pure joy after the first 10-15 jumps and didnt had that feeling anymore, not even after nearly 2 years nonjumping.

since there are plenty of students that dont continue jumping after every course i think thats the keypoint some cant turn it into pure joy and the stress kicks them out of the sport.

i think once u got the joy it wont leave u anymore, you need it :) your bankaccount regrets it !!!

I just completed stage 3 and 4 on the weekend and was stressing over the same thing, don't ! because if you do loose it just keep your box position and arch hard and you will level out even if you are on your back and if not they teach you the cat roll which is just tucking an arm and leg on the same side in to flip you back. flat spins would be a worry but the instructor will re-dock with you at any sign of loss of control and if you just stay relaxed you can usually stop it by turning the opposite direction. no big deal just keep height aware while all this is going on ! line twists are better then hitting the ground any day

You are getting way ahead of yourself. Be aware that your instructors will not let you go until they are confident that you can be stable and pull on your own. They will not let you jump on your own until they are confident that you can be stable and pull on your own 100% of the time.

The AFF program is designed to build your skills up on a jump by jump basis. If you don't seem to 'get' a certain skill on a given jump, you will get corrective training and repeat the jump until your instructors are happy with your performance.

It is not a 'one size fits all' program, it's a 'can be tailored to fit all' program. On top of that, your opinion counts, and if you want to repeat a jump or work more on a certain skill before advancing, just speak up and your instructors will oblige.

Your first 'solo' is at the end of a string of jumps that involve probably 10+ hours of ground training, and an increasing level of freedoms on each jump. Before you ever jump 'solo', you will jump with two instructors both holding your harness for the entire jump, two instructors holding you for part of the jump, one instructor holding you for part of the jump, and several jumps with an instructor not touching you at all but just hanging out and keeping an eye on you.

With all of that said, none of it is going to happen or matter until you make your first jump. Worry about that one now (but don't really worry). Take it one step at a time, and sign up for a First Jump Course at a local DZ.

Also, do yourself a favor and limit your online 'learning' before you take the class. Realzie that anything you read online may or may not be correct for the way that the DZ will teach you and the equipment that they will use. Be ready to walk in the door a blank slate on day one, and let them tell you what you need to know. They have taught many students, and know far better than you exactly what and how to teach it.

DannyW

I just completed stage 3 and 4 on the weekend and was stressing over the same thing, don't ! because if you do loose it just keep your box position and arch hard and you will level out even if you are on your back and if not they teach you the cat roll which is just tucking an arm and leg on the same side in to flip you back. flat spins would be a worry but the instructor will re-dock with you at any sign of loss of control and if you just stay relaxed you can usually stop it by turning the opposite direction. no big deal just keep height aware while all this is going on ! line twists are better then hitting the ground any day

Danny, your post here shows one reason why we frown on students giving advice to other students. In your case here, the OP hasn't done FJC yet and has no clue what you are talking about. You didn't recognize that.

DannyW

Sorry, I will shut my trap

No need for that, my friend...I'm sure you have some good to offer...all of us do. At this point in your learning, just be aware of what you are saying and who you are saying it to.