1 1
Beachum

Effect that difference in size of main and reserve on a system have in a two out scenario

Posted (edited)

This has probably been discussed plenty, somewhere, please either point me in the direction of some info or weigh in.  

In a two out scenario as the reserve gets larger in square footage in comparison to the main involved what effect does it have on the malfunction.  Bi - plane and side by side.  

Thanks

Edited by Beachum
Make more direct

I might be wrong here but if there is a large difference (and I am in that boat) the main will start to stall and move back into a biplane pretty quick I imagine. To me this is the best scenario, I would rather chop the main in this position. 

if I was in a side by side I would try to get this into a biplane so I could chop it. 

all depends on weather, wind, altitude ect….

at one point I thought about this quite a bit, now I put more thought into making sure it doesn’t happen. 

There's a better way than "blindly" chopping your main in a two-out scenario. For one, if you are unlucky enough to have the main and reserve risers entangled, chopping it can be certain death.

I've had the luck to sit through Jim Cowan's Dual Out briefing recently, and his breakdown of possibilities and options is top-notch. It's also on youtube, so I highly recommend everyone to watch it.

As for the specific effect of a much larger reserve than main, I would guess that the reserve is much higher over your head (providing more lift) while the main flies a lot more twitchy. My gut feeling would be that you might have to rein in the main flying it in deep brakes or rears (if half-brake is still set) to keep the two cooperating. Cutting the main away IFF it's not entangled would probably be your best bet, secondary to keeping both canopies nailed together down to landing.

• Like 2