DrDom

What should a new jumper start with in terms of gear?

Katscan

***I just need one that keeps wind noise down (my tinnitus kills me after jumps)

You should seriously consider getting ear protection. I certainly did when my coaches allowed me to do so. The first few jumps I had a radio so this option was not available. Do a search on the forums on ear protection. There are lots of threads covering this and it's probably the lowest cost piece of gear you can purchase. I myself currently have a pair of Surefire Sonic Defenders, but I have also used standard foam ones. Both work fine, it's just a matter of preference.

There will always been wind noise no matter open or closed face helmet. It's just a matter of how much you can reduce the noise. Save your ears!!

My instructor said as soon as I'm cleared from radio to put plugs in. It will help a LOT. Anything extra would be fantastic though. Maybe plugs and a decent helmet.

In my job I cant afford to not hear... and my tinnitus drives me bonkers at times. I use the surefire ones when I'm out at the shooting range. I love the fit, and not too pricey!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I think I've seen only one jumper at my dropzone wearing earplugs. I'm going to start wearing them because I've got pretty bad tinnitus too. I don't have an audible altimeter yet, but if I get one would I be able to hear it well enough with plugs in?
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

DrDom

***You will hear your audible with ear plugs in

That loud, eh?

Generally people hear them better with earplugs in.

Don't know about radios, but it's probably not worth to try.
Unless you do it after you are cleared from radio and "just want to know".

I'm new into the sport myself and still doing my AFF. I'm currently on level 3 and had to do a repeat which I've not done yet as I wanted to get some tunnel time in before spending more money into levels. I bought myself the logbook, goggles and gloves within 10 minutes of landing from my level 1 lol. I'm not planning on getting anything more until I get my A license then I'll treat myself to an O/F helmet and an Alti.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is a Benny or Pro-Tec Helmet. It gives you your own helmet (not the stinky. sweaty ones off the student rack), neither of them cost all that much (~$60) and both of them provide significantly more real protection over the high-end "Skydiving" headgear.

They make great first helmets. Good protection for when (not if) you have a bad landing. Low cost so if you damage it or decide not to pursue the sport you aren't out a big chunk of change.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

This was my order/rationale:

1) at about 6-7 jumps, clear goggles and logbook, I bought those cheap but kinda nice that are semi-rigid. $20+$10, I though, heck for 30 dollars I buy my first real pieces of skydiving equipment, go for it! These 2 are a nobrainer even if you should get out of the sport soon, no commitment, big deal, that's what I thought back then.
2)a galaxy altimeter, $160, my first "important" part of equipment. I bought this probably around 10-12 jumps, I think I had it for my last AFF jump, mainly to not always fight for student altis, but inside because I think it's cool to wear your own alti! As I was getting to like the sport, I was getting ready to spend more and commit more.
3) When I was about 2 or 3 jumps away from my A, I bought a used full face and a used audible, so I could get to know them and "play" with them on the ground for a few days, before wearing them on the actual jump. I also like the open face feeling, but I got more and more fascinated with RW, and I'd like to be part of a RW 4-way team as soon as my skills allow me to, so my instructor head this and told me to not waste time on an open face, use the school ones until I got my A, and upgrade to a full-face right away. I'll still buy an open face at some point, to get the nice breeze in the face feeling on my solo jumps, but it can wait now. I think I spent around $250 for the closed face and the audible. I like both of them, although I haven't got to use the audible, yet, I think I'll mount it for this weekend of jumping, if I get to do any RW.
4) A Digital Alti-2, N-3, $300. This was kinda of an impulsive buy, absolutely not necessary. But hey, I worked with data loggers on planes for my past job and I had to feed the geek beast that wanted to mount a data logger on myself! I loved the idea of having something that logs my jumps, I'm an engineer and was fascinated by this piece of equipment and the possibility of playing with plots and so on. I should have restrained myself but it's done now and I love my N-3. Also, it's very very much more useful and helpful under canopy compared to the analog, so at least I justify it that way. :D
5) jumpsuit. A good RW jumpsuit. I ordered it a week ago. Unfortunately, every other suit I wear is "baggy" on me and, especially in the tunnel, I have to wear ridiculously short suit so they are not baggy around me, with my instructors we decided to order a "faster" suit so that I can fall comfortably with other people (I tend to fall slower, unless I arch super hard).
6) rig: patiently looking for used rigs as we speak, no rush, the rig is the very last thing you should buy, once you know you'll be doing that for a long time.

This is my business plan and so far, it served me well. :D
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

In the old days I would always tell new guys that the smartest thing they could do was buy a jumpsuit that fit them properly. The intent there is to nail down one of the key variables that affects you in freefall (drag).

Later, with the advent of reliable audibles, I changed my mind and decided that the first purchase I would have anyone make is a three-tone audible. Argue with me if you want, new guys, but you'll never change my mind. While we always stress altitude awareness to our students, it's very common for newer jumpers to lose track of altitude while trying out new maneuvers or fixating on "getting there" on RW jumps, etc. A three-tone audible is an inexpensive way to "wake you up" and get your head back in the game at breakoff time. Again: you'll never change my mind; I've been instructing for 32 years.

Third on my list would be a good analog-faced altimeter. Altimaster III or Galaxy-sized. If you've got plenty of loot, you might as well get an Altitrack because it's also a jump logger.

Next would be a good OPEN FACED helmet that has a built-in pocket for an audible. I'd never recommend anyone buy a closed-face model as their first helmet purchase. If you want a good helmet on the cheap, you should know that you can get an exact copy of a Protec at any bicycle store for like $20. If you've got some loot, I am a huge fan of the Bonehead Mindwarp and Guner.

That's my list.

Chuck, D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, S&TA, etc, etc, etc.

Well, I have a "Shopping List" and we can see how this goes. I will be cleared solo soon so I figure I'll buy myself a helmet and gloves for that milestone and then pick up some parts over the winter when I'm not spending my $$$ jumping. I'll lose my currency but I can fix that in the spring and I'm not super ready to just push hard for my A when I want to methodically learn. But I digress

I have a friend who has a barely used Cookie Fuel open face helmet. Few scratches, all blank panels. He figures I could use it as my first helmet, or eventually turn it into a camera helmet if I ever went that route. But its a nice looking piece of gear and I'm going to scratch it up anyhow so may as well buy one secondhand.

Picking up a pair of gloves from ChutingStar, just a basic summer glove.
Also will grab some decent goggles. The student ones are good and all (I know they clean them) but I feel like its something I should "own".

Over the winter I'm going to pick up an Altimaster Galaxy, it seems like the student standard and would be nice to have a good, reliable, basic altimeter. Looking at some jumpsuits (the ones are huge on me at the DZ) but no idea what I'm really going for yet. It may not be a purchase until A license honestly. I just wear some wool underclothes and dont feel gross. I figure I can dirty up the student suits and get my own when I can properly LAND!

Other stuff is a Visio II eventually, will transition to digital over time (will be nice to have a backup though), and an Optima II audible. That is at the end of my list though, since I don't think I can use one until cleared solo anyhow. I want to be in the habit of being altitude aware. I feel like its a skill I could stall the development of if I get a crutch "too early".

I'll deal with full face helmets someday. I like the protection, but its just not a priority. I prefer people see me SMILING on the way out!
You are not the contents of your wallet.

SkymonkeyONE

Later, with the advent of reliable audibles, I changed my mind and decided that the first purchase I would have anyone make is a three-tone audible. Argue with me if you want, new guys, but you'll never change my mind. While we always stress altitude awareness to our students, it's very common for newer jumpers to lose track of altitude while trying out new maneuvers or fixating on "getting there" on RW jumps, etc. A three-tone audible is an inexpensive way to "wake you up" and get your head back in the game at breakoff time. Again: you'll never change my mind; I've been instructing for 32 years.

Exact same thing my AFFIs told me, when I asked them when is the right time to start using audibles. Answer, especially if you start jumping with other people, as soon as possible.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

started AFF last July:

1x simple transparent eyeglass (10 euros)
1x akando (sunglass) advanced eyeglass (25 euros)
1x akando gloves (25 euros)
1x refurbished (used 2 jump) alti (100 euros)
1x usa skysystem advanced benny helmet (74 usd $)

next purchase will be the jumpsuit. I won't spend too much to buy the coolest jumpsuit ever, i'm going to get a used one, or maybe my mother can design and make one for me.
Matt