1 1
Skybaby9

What has changed?

Hello all. I realized lately that my life has gotten pretty boring, and I'm looking to change that.  I used to skydive, but I haven't in 20+ years.  When I started looking into returning to the sport, I noticed that there are more USPA members than ever, and the fatalities are down to 10 or so per year.  I think there were about 30k members when i left, and closer to 30 fatalities per year. The gear looks about the same, so does anyone who's been in it for a long time know what has changed?

Deployment altitudes, both BSR and in practice...

When I got my C, if you weren't doing CReW or a cross country, it was considered concerning for experienced jumpers to open higher than 2,500.... what's wrong with you if you do...

Now C/D licensed are required to be above 2,500.

But even more its common for the openings to be up to 5,000'+  Emphasis is on giving yourself time to deal with canopy issues, especially for the faster/smaller canopies.  (it does lead to the backward condition of potentially have large slow canopies opening lower than small/fast.  this then leads to pre-jump planning to ensure no conflicts.)

Finally, depending on where you did and do jump, the larger turbine aircraft are more common, so higher exits are more common.

JW