billvon

There's only one problem with climate change - it ended in 2023!

Just an annual update for all the Type 1 and Type 2 deniers who can now claim that global warming ended in 1998 2010 2014 2015 2016 2023!  And heck the last new record lasted six years - maybe this one will last a bit longer and they can get all giddy and excited that THIS TIME warming has peaked, really.

Interesting factoid - back when RushMC posted the first "there's only one problem with climate change - it ended in 1998!" post, 1998 was indeed the warmest year in the past eight or so.  Now 1998 doesn't even make it into the top 10 warmest years.  An ignominious end for the original "never be warmer than this" claim.

Meanwhile looks like 2023 is going to shatter warming records by a fair amount.

https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/t2_daily/?dm_id=world

I know. Frankly, I think it's admirable. I was at the immigration museum in Halifax (I think it was Halifax), and was impressed. I also found my grandfather's immigration into Canada from Sweden (before he went to the US).

Wendy P.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I know. Frankly, I think it's admirable. I was at the immigration museum in Halifax (I think it was Halifax), and was impressed. I also found my grandfather's immigration into Canada from Sweden (before he went to the US).

Wendy P.

I think it is foolish, we have a housing and health care crisis. This isn't helping.

33 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I think it is foolish, we have a housing and health care crisis. This isn't helping.

That's always been true.  But 90% of the people posting here are able to post because, 100 or 200 years ago, the country let their ancestors in even though there were other crises around.

(edited)
8 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's always been true.  But 90% of the people posting here are able to post because, 100 or 200 years ago, the country let their ancestors in even though there were other crises around.

No, that hasn't always been true. Housing affordability measured against income is at pretty much all time highs. Health care waiting lists and availability is at pretty much the worst position it has ever been. Even the government has realized i and has reduced targets for this year and future years.

Family doctors are almost impossible to find and emergency rooms have had to close. People are dying waiting for cancer treatment.

At BC's Children's hospital in Vancouver has recently seen wait time in the Emergency Room of 10 hours to be triaged and 10 hours to be seen by a doctor. So 20 hours in total.

So no, it hasn't always been like that, not even close.

Edited by SkyDekker

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

No, that hasn't always been true.

Of course it has.  My grandparents came over as economic refugees during World War 1, a crisis no matter how you look at it, one that was straining America's resources.  And given the hundreds of thousands of Americans dying, a FAR worse crisis than having to wait in a doctor's office.  They came with nothing; they spent everything they had on the fare to get here.  Actually my grandfather came first, worked for a year, and made enough to wire the money back to get my grandmother over.  

One of my in-laws family came over during the 1930's, when the Great Depression was in full swing.  That was a huge crisis in the US; housing crises alone far outstripped anything we see today.  Albert Einstein came in as a refugee as well, fleeing from a Germany descending into antisemitism and genocide.  Fortunately (for both my family and the US) we did not decide that the crisis we were having meant we should turn away refugees.

Every age thinks their crises are the most pressing.  My parents thought the US as a nation would not survive the race riots and anti-Vietnam protests of the 60's and 70's, and that THAT was the worst crisis the US had ever faced.   And from their perspective they were right.  But we keep going.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Every age thinks their crises are the most pressing.

Except that isn't what I said.

Plus having to go back 100 years pretty much proves the point that it hasn't always been that way....

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

Actually my grandfather came first, worked for a year, and made enough to wire the money back to get my grandmother over.

Unless you have family to live with this is now functionally impossible in major Canadian cities.

Minimum wage in Ontario is $16.55 per hour. Average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Toronto is $2,900 per month.

$16.55 per hour is $2,868 per month GROSS on a full time basis.

Average rent for a 2 bedroom is $3,400, so not helping much if you can find a room mate. Plus vacancy is so low that people are paying a full year's rent up front to try and "win" a place.