Colm

A tour of AM tower equipment

Agreed, this was the base of the original KFI mast. I can just imaging how much EMF is crackling.

(so mind boggling one day ~ 20 years ago when I drove by and it WAS GONE!!!!, knocked over by a small plane impact)

https://www.oldradio.com/archives/warstories/640.htm

I hope that wooden ladder was truly a non-conductor.

kfi_tower_base_building.jpg

On 11/24/2023 at 8:21 AM, kleggo said:

...this was the base of the original KFI mast. I can just imaging how much EMF is crackling.

...I hope that wooden ladder was truly a non-conductor.

Wooden ladder?! You didn't use that, did you? We used the wooden plank on the roof of that shed. (I think you can see the end of it on the roof there between the tower and that wire.) You'd slide the plank a ways off the edge of the roof, walk out on it, then jump to the tower so that you'd 'land' on it like a bird on a power line, and not be grounded. You needed a 'plankmon', someone who wasn't going to climb/jump, to stand on the plank for the last guy. Sometimes a spark would come off your foot when you left the plank, or your hand when you grabbed the tower. How stupid we are when we're young...