Cold_Hard_Ash

Best WS canopy on the market for a beginner?

Currently on a storm 150 at a 1.43 approx wing loading.

I am already looking to upsize to a 170 putting me at 1.26....

But I want to know your thoughts. What canopy is the best for a beginner pilot? I am on a swift 3 but have an atc in the works. 

Also does longer riser lengths increase line twists? I have 22" now.... But I'm 5 11 so I do have a great reach. 

18 hours ago, Cold_Hard_Ash said:

Currently on a storm 150 at a 1.43 approx wing loading.

I am already looking to upsize to a 170 putting me at 1.26....

But I want to know your thoughts. What canopy is the best for a beginner pilot? I am on a swift 3 but have an atc in the works. 

Also does longer riser lengths increase line twists? I have 22" now.... But I'm 5 11 so I do have a great reach. 

My understanding was that the wingsuiters had concluded the Storm was lousy for wingsuiting, despite it being a 7 cell.

Please describe in more details what you mean by "best"? I.e. which characteristics you're looking for?

Are line twists your only concern, or you want something maybe a bit less "stable" but more performance that can reliably get you from the long spot? Do you pack yourself or not? Would you like softer slower openings or normal are fine? etc...

Apart from canopy you might want to look at pilot chute too - something like Skysnatch 2 or its less-advertised alternatives

• Like 1

(edited)

Most docile with lowest pack volume are Epicene Pro and Horizon. They are both basically reserve canopies with ZP nose. Would recommend WL <1.3. If you want to load more or want a longer recovery arc and more powerful flare: Omicron or WinX hybrid. Highest pack volume and sportiest flight is full ZP WinX or Pilot7.

You didn’t ask, but I’ll offer it anyway: don’t rush to the ATC. Master all flight controls, pitches and orientations in the Swift first. You’ll be a better pilot as a result.

Edited by BMAC615
  • Like 1