kleggo

New AAD release - From Parachutist April 1990

(edited)

Paragear 1991-1992 catalogue, the first with the Cypres in it:

Cybernetic Parachute Release System (Cypres)   $1225      
(In current dollars, that's $2770)
(Compare to Cypres 2 price at Paragear now, over 30 years later:   $1199, less than the original dollar price, with a longer life and no mandatory servicing either.)  

Also in Paragear that year:

FXC AAD       $695    (A lot less than the Cypres, but its 2 year factory checks added up too, for the diligent DZ's that did them.)

RWS  Vector II   $978    (Cheaper than the Cypres)

(In current dollars that's $2210.)
(Vector III at Paragear now is $3350, over 50% more despite accounting for inflation,  although it certainly does have a few more features than a Vector II. Still just certified as a Wonderhog.)

[Edit: Inflation calculated online with 1991 average, to Sept 2023, the most current data, for the US CPI]

Edited by pchapman

3 hours ago, pchapman said:

(Compare to Cypres 2 price at Paragear now, over 30 years later:   $1199, less than the original dollar price, with a longer life and no mandatory servicing either.)  

FXC AAD       $695    (A lot less than the Cypres, but its 2 year factory checks added up too, for the diligent DZ's that did them.)

(Vector III at Paragear now is $3350, over 50% more despite accounting for inflation,  although it certainly does have a few more features than a Vector II. Still just certified as a Wonderhog.)

[Edit: Inflation calculated online with 1991 average, to Sept 2023, the most current data, for the US CPI]

Hi Peter,

And Bill once told me that he would NEVER give up his C23(b) certification.  I would not either.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, pchapman said:

That was around the same time I ordered my first rig (all new):

custom RWS Vector II (w/ both round line stow option and freebag)

Cypres (at a time when "they'll never know you have one" was the ad slogan) 

custom PD-260 (9cell F111)

Fury Reserve ( final decision on round vs square was made shortly before placing my order - after a reserve ride on student gear... the square got me to a ball field instead of the trees where a round would have put me).

Throw in a custom Tonysuit, alt, helmet, Dytter, goggles, rigging charges, etc... and it ran me right at $5k.
(not including the interest on the credit card for hemmmm...  a "few" years to get it paid off...)

Still have all the parts, maybe i'll put it back in the air one of these days.

JW