1 1
Packing Riceball

Reserve to small for container?

I was asked to do a reserve attachment of a Tempo 150 into a Vector3 - V349. Looking at the size chart I see the smallest recommended going in would be a Smart 160. Besides it not looking good or fitting well, would it be unsafe to have the smaller reserve in there or should I recommend holding off until they get a better fitting reserve?

Thanks,

Christi

Are you a certified rigger?

If so, do you want the liability of packing what might be an unsupported combination?

Do you know how the two canopies vary in pack volume?

"or should I recommend holding off until they get a better fitting reserve?"

If you are asking, I think you already know the answer

• Like 1

Lots of things are not 'recommended', or 'unsupported' but are perfectly safe and/or are accepted in the industry. But leaving that aside...

One pack volume chart, from Parachute Labs, shows a Tempo 150 at 312 cu in, and a Smart 160 at 416.  While pack volume measurements are notoriously uncertain, this does suggest the Tempo is quite a bit smaller in volume. Sounds a bit iffy to me.

You could of course just pack it up and have a look, to see whether it is loose in the freebag (and not putting tension on the safety stow?) or makes the rig close up oddly.  Would be interesting to know how it turned out.

Usually the problem is totally overstuffed rigs (ugly, bulging, poorly fitting flaps & PCs, and hard to close) rather than ones with too small a reserve in them...

7 hours ago, Packing Riceball said:

I was asked to do a reserve attachment of a Tempo 150 into a Vector3 - V349. Looking at the size chart I see the smallest recommended going in would be a Smart 160. Besides it not looking good or fitting well, would it be unsafe to have the smaller reserve in there or should I recommend holding off until they get a better fitting reserve?

Thanks,

Christi

I packed a Tempo 150 into a V348 and it looked terrible I ended up getting a PD143 that was a lot better. Tempos pack small, I'm not sure it would be unsafe in a V349, but I can say for sure the rig won't look right.