1 1
dmathews1960

Double Keel Paradactyl

Hi folks.  I posted this in the history forum a few days ago but haven't made any progress, so I'm posting it here.   My guess is some of you experienced old school riggers might be able to provide me with a lead.  Thanks in advance.

Hey Everyone:  Like a lot of you, I grew up on rounds, made some Para-Commander jumps, and then bought a Strat-o-Cloud.   I always thought, though, that the Delta II and the Paradactyl were the most beautiful canopies in the sky.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Anyway, I've talked to some really helpful folks, and have convinced myself that my first choice is a double-keel Paradactyl, and my second choice is a Delta II.   I am NOT obsessed with the idea of jumping a completely vintage container and setup.  But I am somewhat obsessed by jumping one of these canopies, so my plan is to find one, get it inspected, and put it on three-rings in a modern container with a modern ram air reserve.  I'm asking for help locating either a double-keel paradactyl or a Delta II.   Any help or leads you  might be able to give me are greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance.  

Now, the "why the hell do you want to do that?" comments can begin.  :)

Trivial point.

When they started their AFF program (early 1980s), Perris Valley used double-keel 'Dactyls as student canopies. Those canopies were left over from a competitive 4-way team. That was back in the day when students were issued parachutes that had been fashionable among licensed jumpers last year. IOW the best "transition gear" was whatever your local skygod was trying to unload.

Hah!

Hah!

That humor aside, I don not remember hearing about any significant injury rate among Perris' students during the early 1980s, probably because those Double-Keel 'Dactyls descended so slowly that twisted ankles were rare.

Yup.  I have heard lots of stories of people stalling the single-keel dactyls and dropping about 1500 feet before recovering.  And I have heard lots of stories of streamers using the Delta II OSI system, although I have concluded that at least some (maybe most) of these were due to packing error since the system was so unfamiliar to folks.  And I have corresponded to people who have jumped single-keel dactyls, double-keel dactyls, and delta II's and the consensus seems to be that the double-keel was the most forgiving.   I am working with a guy to purchase his Delta II, and I plan on jumping it sooner than later.  But my greatest desire is to have (and jump) a double-keel dactyl.  Since I'm AFF Program Director at Skydive Tecumseh, i think it would be cool for students to see a vintage canopy flying and know that students used to use them.   Last week or so I posted in the Skydiving History and Trivia forum, and then in the Gear and rigging forum (since I figured there may be some old riggers in that group).   I also posted on FaceBook in the Oldschool Skydiving group.  In that group I got quite a bit of discussion and potentially found a Delta II, but still haven't located  the twin-dactyl that anyone is willing to part with.   If you hear anything, I would greatly appreciate the leads....  Thanks in advance.

David Mathews

[email protected]

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dmathews1960 said:

Yup.  I have heard lots of stories of people stalling the single-keel dactyls and dropping about 1500 feet before recovering.

I'll believe that!   Did a stall on mine and it took a full 10 seconds (on video and not just in my imagination) before I had it flying again properly. It wanted to dive off in just about any direction before finally I got it to -- or it chose to -- fly forward again.

• Like 1