2 2
brenthutch

Lefties boycott…

On 7/29/2023 at 7:24 AM, billeisele said:

The collection of replies is amusing, disheartening, false, and so many other words.

It starts with immature name calling and labeling. That's never good but apparently OK here.

Moves to the false assumption that people are afraid of someone. No, they are just tired of certain things and don't want to be associated with them. What happened to, "to each his own." They simply chose to move on and disassociate themselves with a certain lifestyle. Actions have consequences. The two executives were "put on leave" while 350 employees are losing their jobs.

Religion is again inserted as if that's the sole guiding force and that everyone interprets "being religious" in the same way. Having a sole defining belief is for the zealots, IMO, most people aren't that way. 

Why insert new thoughts then assign them as if they were stated facts? Makes no sense. Using references to historical facts as if they were current news is equally senseless. Things change, remember that the D party was the slave party.

Then there's the comment about not smart and "racist hicks" generalizations. That says plenty about ignorance and hate. 

To Jerry's point, yes, folks are free to do what they want. They weren't at attention or being respectful, as required by the team rules. And they aren't veterans. Big differences. Be on the team, follow the rules. Don't want to follow the rules, get punished. It's not complicated. 

Apparently if you are labeled a conservative you are the ONE that called Obama a raghead. Of course. it's just not possible that people with conservative values disagreed with that term or similar terms used to disparage people. Those same people, by definition, aren't allowed to disagree with Trump and the way he disparages people. That presumption is just wrong.

The silent majority isn't just "conservatives."  Here's that label again, as if everyone that has a conservative-like belief can be shoved into that box and thus defined in that manner. That is not reality. People can and do have ideas that are defined as conservative and also have beliefs that are defined as liberal. Exactly what box is that? I don't know, maybe that's the vast majority of those in the middle. Is that the "I" box?

Interesting that there's no outrage about other entertainers with music videos flashing guns, promoting violence, reveling in destruction, full of race hating and disgusting language. 

As for the free country thing. That's seems to be OK until it's not. Folks flying a confederate flag certainly feel that way. Luckily that's not seen much anymore. People do get offended when their "rights" are constrained.

10-15 years ago the power company I worked for decided that folks flying a confederate flag from their truck wasn't acceptable. The primary person doing that had ancestors that were in the Civil War. He "said" that for him it was his history. But ... someone was offended so the policy was made. No surprise, in the following weeks dozens of trucks had flags in the rear window and there were plenty of bumper stickers. The policy said no flag flying, so it was OK. It wasn't about the flag it was about having rights restricted. "If I can't fly my flag because "they" are offended then they have to remove the various flags and symbols that they have because I'm offended by that." So it started, putting people in a box and labeling them. This issue got way out of hand. It took a sit-down with the company President with a room full of folks on both sides to resolve it. Everyone agreed it had gotten stupid. The flag guy calmed down and shared his family history. One appointed person on the other side shared his personal experiences and family history. They all agreed to calm down, respect each other's rights and to talk. The "family" that had been whole, then divided, was back together. For sure, all wounds weren't healed but they understood each other. When the next big storm came they were out, working side by side, restoring power. Having common goals works. 

Tolerance is needed on both sides of any issue. Shoving people into a box, labeling them, making false assumptions and accusations, none of that is good. Yet, as we see here, it's commonly done.

This "majority" doesn't always fit into anything stated as some of these posts say. They aren't always silent and they aren't always meek or mild. I saw it firsthand in Charleston SC when certain "groups" bused in protestors to wreck the city. The weak Mayor told the cops to just stand by and allow them to do whatever. The local boys rallied, went downtown with their big trucks and ran that crowd out of the city. They then went to their suppliers and loaded up on plywood to help the store owners board up their shops. They sat in their trucks on street corners with their scary black guns as a warning for the troublemakers to stay away. It worked. Call from a tourist, "911 - what is your emergency. I'm in a boutique hotel on King St and there are two big guys sitting in a big truck on the corner of Cannon and King. They have assault weapons!!! 911 operator - Are they doing anything? Tourist - no they are just sitting there. 911 operator - OK, well let us know if anything changes. They have been there all night and they are helping us." Maybe some other cities could have been helped instead of occupied and destroyed. 

There are a ton of people that are in the middle ground. There are Ds and Rs that don't "fit" the purported model. The way one sees the R's and the D's isn't the same and they certainly don't conveniently fit in some box. Same goes for religion, gender issues and many other hot topic issues. Just because one has certain defined bioxes constraing their personal thoughts doesn't mean that is how the rest of the world thinks.

Bill,

Your bump and run to our opposing posts, not out of form for you to be frank, can't be how you want to be seen. Yes, when I decided to point out the obvious which is that religion plays an outsized role in your opinions you didn't want to engage. That is also normal for the religious. Those conversations are only happy places when talking to other believers. We all get that much. But you are also a skydiver with serious credentials and this is a forum for serious skydivers. Surely we are not too much.