1 1
GrumpyM4

MC4 packing question

Flat-pack is probably specified in the old military manual.

If I remember correctly, MC4 was introduced before PRO-packing became the norm among civilian skydivers (mid 1980s).

I have PRO-packed hundreds of tandem canopies that are similar in size to MC4 canopies. They all opened fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Flat-pack is probably specified in the old military manual.

If I remember correctly, MC4 was introduced before PRO-packing became the norm among civilian skydivers (mid 1980s).

I have PRO-packed hundreds of tandem canopies that are similar in size to MC4 canopies. They all opened fine.

Yes, the flat pack is specified.   

I was warned that MC4's will always have a somewhat hard open, which is why i'm interested in seeing if a pro pack is possible as there are ways to increase the snivel. 

I'd like to have this as an occasional play rig, and i also don't want a crap opening when i use it.

The first step to making most canopies open softer is to roll the nose.

If you want to roll-pack the entire canopy, then look at the Strong Dual Hawk packing manual. 

I have seen a few civilians roll-pack an entire canopy by laying the canopy on its side and rolling the nose past the B lines. Then they grab all the steering lines and roll them forward past the C lines.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, GrumpyM4 said:

Yes, the flat pack is specified.   

I was warned that MC4's will always have a somewhat hard open, which is why i'm interested in seeing if a pro pack is possible as there are ways to increase the snivel. 

I'd like to have this as an occasional play rig, and i also don't want a crap opening when i use it.

Should be mentioned that a "flat pack" is a vague description.  The method called "factory pack" back in the day is very close to the reserve packing method - not propacking.  The "roll pack" as it was called back in the day is much different.