Slink2

Casa Stall

(pardon my lack of airplane pilot lingo)

In Otters, I've been in two interesting ones when I have been floating during formation loads.

The plane started to stall and the pilot pushed the yoke forward to pick up speed. You could tell because our feet got very light. The first time, my feet came up off the plane because I didn't recognize the sensation.

However, as we were now going too low now, the pilot flattened it out. This caused a "crack the whip" effect on the back of the plane and threw all the floaters off.

The second time it happened, I felt the zero G effect and pulled myself in very tight. I had my left arm around an older guy in front of me. I pulled him in also because I didn't want him to accidently whack himself on the step if the plane dumped us.

The second time, I didn't get thrown off, but my right arm was sore for a couple of weeks.

How is it this thread has been revived 3 years later?
Anyway I need to chime in. Too much time on my hands again.
What probably happened during the Casa upset was initially a stall of the horizontal stabilizer.
The CG of an A/C normally should fall somewhere within the chord of the wing. Normally its the job of the main wing to support the weight of the A/C and the job of the horizontal stabilizer is to generate a downward lift component to hold the nose up. As the CG is moved aft of limits the stabilizer no longer is holding the nose up as designed but instead begins supporting part of the A/C's weight. When the horizontal stabilizer on the Casa finally stalled the A/C initially pitched UP not down as it normally would during a stall of just the main wing.
This may help explain why stalls on jump run are so violent.

PS: I did witness this upset from the ground at KRID.

oh back here again its ben a long time
I was the 3rd camera and I was hanging
camera got turned off when the plane hit me in the head great fun
No video except the green light and climbout then the stall and wham! You can see me in Tony's video up the hill in all black.Tony left a little before me I was holding on for the exit
Looking back the biggest thing was no mention of overcrowding the ramp. Which was a big error given the amount of experience on the load. Bird, Pig Praeter, manwell just to name a few with combined years probably around 90 to 100 and 30k jumps or so
Just goes to show that the basics should never be forgotten.
But now its just one of those "no shi@@ I was there stories"
b
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area